IGNORED

Gas mileage converted from litres/kilometres

Semi-retired

Call me stupid......or maybe just lazy!

Are there any Canadians out there who've done the math to calculate if their "mileage" (kilometrage?) is good or bad?

On a trip home yesterday, I put 14.2 litres into the tank after travelling 233 kilometres.

Is that good or bad?

Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks to any braniac/math/conversion wizzard for your help.

Mike

Call me stupid......or maybe just lazy!

Are there any Canadians out there who've done the math to calculate if their "mileage" (kilometrage?) is good or bad?

On a trip home yesterday, I put 14.2 litres into the tank after travelling 233 kilometres.

Is that good or bad?

Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks to any braniac/math/conversion wizzard for your help.

Mike

Hi Mike. Looks like you got about 46.47 MPG (Imperial Gallons)

Here is how you convert:

From liters to Imperial Gallons multiply liters by 0.22

From km to miles multiply kms by 0.62

Hope this helps bud.

Thanks for all your help and references, guys.

I guess if I was booting along at around 75 to 80 miles per hour (125-130KPH), even though I was riding solo, this is still pretty good as a "gas consumption" figure.

I've just always wondered since acquiring the bike a little over a year ago, whether it's running rich (therefore consumig more fuel than it should).

The reasons I've suspected this are not consumption calculations like we just did here.....but more related to the fact that a) the bike will start on almost any Summer day with virtually no choke.......and, b) it always seems to smell a little "gassy" after first starting up; almost as though an automatic choke had kicked in somehow.

m

And to answer your last question, I consider 39 US MPG to be about normal.

Jeremy

The reasons I've suspected this are not consumption calculations like we just did here.....but more related to the fact that a) the bike will start on almost any Summer day with virtually no choke.......and, b) it always seems to smell a little "gassy" after first starting up; almost as though an automatic choke had kicked in somehow.

Mine does this too. I get gas smell after shutting down from around the carbs and wonder if I have a fuel bowl that's not sealing. My plugs run on the dark side of normal. Have you checked your fuel levels in the bowls? There's a guy here with a RSV who goes by Goose, and he picked up 3-4 mpg by lowering his floats. I noticed that the service manual for my 87 calls out a certain fuel level (which my bike is set at), while the "service specs" page at the end of the factory parts fish calls out a level 2mm lower. Hmm...

Jeremy

Good point, Jeremy, thanks; I'll check those bowls. Just hope they're not a beeotch to get to!!

If Goose sees this, maybe he can tell me how tough it was. ?

Mine does this too. I get gas smell after shutting down from around the carbs and wonder if I have a fuel bowl that's not sealing. My plugs run on the dark side of normal. Have you checked your fuel levels in the bowls? There's a guy here with a RSV who goes by Goose, and he picked up 3-4 mpg by lowering his floats. I noticed that the service manual for my 87 calls out a certain fuel level (which my bike is set at), while the "service specs" page at the end of the factory parts fish calls out a level 2mm lower. Hmm...

Jeremy