IGNORED

MI New Helmet Law - Maybe

juggler

Pretty soon the government will be making us all wear diapers and such and locking us in our rooms to "keep us safe".

Here in good old WI. a lot of stores and hobby shops won't give model rocket engines or paint and glue to anybody under the age of 21.

If I way under 21, I'm sure it would really pi** me off. Even not being that young, it still really irritates the hell out of me.

No wonder so many "kids" are still in their parents homes till they're in their 30's and 40's.

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:

Originally Posted by shooter3001 viewpost.gif

Here's one to think about. I just recently got a ticket in the city of Flint, Mi. for wearing a helmet ! It was a novelty helmet but it was still a helmet. The cop was a real A__hole too. Wouldn't just give me a ticket and let me leave. OH NO!! He told me I had to call someone to bring me a "DOT Helmet" or he was going to impound my bike. He wrote the ticket for No Helmet. I'm going to fight this one even if I have to go to the Mi. Supreme Court.

Good luck. I think you'll find that the law calls for an approved DOT helmet, which you weren't wearing.

Kinda like needing a license from the State Medical Board to practice medicine, not Bob's License shack.

As far as the cop's attitude, wonder how he feels about yours?

Paul

He can get out of it , if he uses the correct language. Meaning if you contest the ticket on how it was written and not mention anything else other than the facts . For example , I left the house one day to go get a gallon of milk . I just moved here from Alaska and still had AK drivers license . Well I forgot my wallet when I left . I returned home , only to have a driver's license check check point 50 feet from my driveway . Well I got cited for "Not having a valid NC driver's license" . Well I went to court and told them I did not have a NC DL , but an AK DL . Showed them my driver's license , they tossed it out of court !

All you would have to do is have a witness testify that you were wearing a helmet and leave it at that . The officer made the mistake on not making note that it was not a DOT approved helmet . So nail him on improper paperwork !

BEER30

• 1 year later...

If you look at the numbers, the true numbers a helmet is a 50/50 proposition, You either crush your skull with no helmet or the weight of the helmet turns you into a paraplegic, the cost to health is greater on the later, if your dead, they bury you.

So it comes down to a personal choice, and I would prefer to do without.

I don't won't the gov. telling me to wear it.

As far as the DOT helmet, have your lawyer ask the court to have the DOT bring you a helmet that they approved, then when they won't do so, then ask for a list of the approved helmets by product number, you will not get either one.

The DOT has manufactoring specifications for helmets, and there are helmets that meet these specs. but no DOT is going to tell you that any specific helmet is approved. The DOT sticker on the back of your helmet was NOT placed there by the dot, it was put on there by the factory, and it shows that the helmet meets these recomendations.

This point has been used in Ga several times in court, and each time the DOT refuses to provide a helmet or a list of helmets.

They can't if they did it would make the state liable for any injuries while wearing the specified helmet. Every time someone was injured the (sue me lawyers) would jump all over it.

Gregg