IGNORED

Harley Davidson, a way of life?

Ferrantelli

I Was in Lumberton, N.C. for a Star Touring fall days, At the motel a guy came up to me and said that was a nice Harley? Well I told him it was a 2007, Royal Star Venture made by Yamaha. He did not know what to say. I like to say some Harley people are a little touched.:Bunny:

Just a bit of clarification here, It's not Harleys were bashing....it's their riders that are close minded. I like many of the Harleys, if they weren't so darn expensive I might have one. I ride the RSV because it fits me well and I like how it feels and it's a good value. My biggest problem is that arrogent people that ride Harleys need to be brought to reality from time to time

:)

It is my experience that non-Harley riders spend way more time and energy dissing Harley riders than the reverse. Harley guys just "know" they ride the "best", are the only "true" american riders, and spend zero time thinking about the alternatives. Most have zero experience on other machines. Ok - who cares.

Frankly, I am just happy that they all ride from Harley store to Harley store and sit around in the parking lot. The small roads of Wisconsin are almost completely Harley-free since there isn't anyone out there to notice the sound or lifestyle. I am happy for that.

Just be happy with your own thing and forget those beret and tassle dudes. I cannot join their club since I would feel like I was dressing up like a cowboy without having a ranch or cows.

zag

My best friend since the first grade in school, rides a harley. He was at a rally and walked by a guy talking about his yamaha. The yamaha rider said, " and it sounds just like a harley". My friend said, I've never hear anyone say, "hey my harley sounds just like a yamaha".

I have been riding some form of bike since I was 9 years old. Been riding on the roads since I was 14 years old. I personally have always ridden a Honda or Yamaha. I have ridden Harley Road Kings, Street Glides and Sportsters that my friends have owned. When decinding to upgrade from the 1100 Vstar 2 months ago. My dad and I shopped around. Him not being a Harley fan he told me I could get whatever made me happy Harley or not. (I needed a co-signer so his opinion mattered to.) I looked at Harley Street Glides and Road Glides but just couldn't see spending that kind of money to get it like I would like. I went with an '08 RSTD, after adding the exhaust, stereo and everything else I am about at what the base price for the Road Glide was. I think Harley makes great looking machines and if they ever come down on the price I might own one. Loving every minute of my Tour Deluxe though.

On another note, a friend of mine bought an '04 Sporster Custom. When she brought it by for me to look at, I realized it was way to tall for her. She has dropped it a few time mainly because in certain situation she can't get a good stance on the bike to hold it up. We have lowered it even more, put a lower seat on it and it is still to high. She expressed the other day she had thought of getting rid of it and getting a V Star or something else lower to the ground. Then she made the comment, " I JUST LIKE THE WAY IT LOOKS THOUGH !". While I understand that, I told her I didn't understand sacrificing saftey for style. Most of the time we get ready to ride she just hops on the back of the RSTD with me. I guess it's just part of the, I own a harley mental thing.

I have taken alot of grief over the years for not owning a Harley, but I love the Jap bikes. If not having a Harley make me uncool, who cares. At least I ride. My idea is, if it has two wheels or sometimes 3. Let's ride. It's not the destination it's the journey.

Harley makes some great looking bikes and have some really cool clothes but the prices on all that stuff is way out there for what you get. I looked at new HD when I bought my bike I just couldnt justify the extra 10 to 15k for the bike I bought in the new RSV. I have a very hard time buying or doing something just because its the thing to do because in a few minutes its not the thing so I just do what I want. Bottom line if you are happy with what ever you do and ride and enjoy yourself that is all that matters.:Venture:

I knew a pressman that worked at a local print shop. He was what I would call a "Biker Dude". He constantly wore the Harley stuff and rode a nice Electroglide to work daily. I took a special twisted pleasure in walking in to make a delivery and commenting mischievously to Emmet that he had a really nice looking Gold Wing.

1) Compare Quality:

I might have bought a Harley if the price was comparable, but the only reasons I was considering them was for looks, reputation, and social status. I haven't heard of anyone who bought a Harley because the extra money was worth it for the better quality or performance, with the possible V-rod exception. I subscribe to open-minded magazines (Cruiser and Rider) and the Harley rarely if ever wins in side-by-side comparisons. Some claim great resale value, but of all the Jap bikes I have owned, I kept them in good shape, put lots of miles on them, and never lost more than $600 when reselling them many years and miles later. All motorcycles have good resale value if they are taken care of.

2) Compare Clothing:

Why do so many Harley owners own so much Harley clothing?? I must be because letting people know that you own a Harley is as important as actually owning it. Social status is the way to justify the price. Or maybe it is the most important reason to own one.

3) Dual Ownership:

In this thread, we have heard from open-minded riders who have owned both. I value their opinions. I also have a friend who has owned a Sportster and an ST1100 for several years. He has ridden both of them to Sturgis and other road trips. Even though the Honda is older and has more miles, he is quick to point out that is far more dependable than the Harley on many occasions. Sometimes he is afraid to take the Harley on long road trips. Perhaps that is why so many trailer their bikes for the long haul and only ride them for the short Sunday drives.

4) Embarrassing Fact:

This past February, when I was riding my RSWarrior the 40 mile round trip to work whenever the road wasn't icy and the temp was above 30, the Harley Dealership in Loveland, CO had a major event one Saturday. I received a flyer in the mail advertising their HARLEY FASHION SHOW! They had pictures of models wearing Harley clothing and told people to come in to see the newest biker fashions on the cat walk. I had to ask myself: Since when does a real biker go to a fashion show? That is when I realized they sold out. In my mind, Harley is now a clothing company that also sells motorcycles.

5) Recent Oil Sighting:

On my way to Sturgis this year, my wife an I were eating lunch in a cafe on Main Street in Chadron, NE. We saw a few Harley riders on nice, fairly new bikes stop at the light in the nearly 100 degree heat. One got off his bike to check out the fluid that was running out of another female rider's Harley in their group. They pulled off, inspected it, looked concerned, and then road away. After lunch, I went over to inspect the pool that was still on the street. The pool was oil and it was 12 inches in diameter and the rider only sat there for about 15 seconds. Although I have heard the jokes about leaking oil, I have never seen any bike, Harley or otherwise, leave a pool of oil at a stoplight. Unfortunately, that new Harley wasn't making it to Sturgis that day. (And I thought my rear shock oil drip was bad.)

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts. In the end, I like how many of the Harleys look and sound. I like the social reputation the Harley name brings with it. But for me, riding a quality bike and riding often is more important than blind brand loyalty and fashion.

The hard-headed Harley mindset is only a little different than the guys out there who are devoted for life to only own a Ford and trash talk the other trucks with stickers. The main difference is that Ford dealerships don't have fashion shows.