IGNORED

Need advise on aftermarket seat for my RSTD

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

I'm finally in a position to buy an aftermarket seat. I hear great things about the Mustang's. And I've heard good & bad about the Ultimates. And I've heard more bad than good about Corbin's. I've only sat on the Mustang once and it was on a Valkyrie. I really wasn't sure what to think. I'm 6'4 and weigh about 300 pounds if that helps anyone help me make a decision. I also have to consider my wife's comfort if anyone has advise on that. Thanks, Scotty

I've got the Mustang seat on my 05 RSTD. I'm also 6'4 and 300 pounds. Guess they grow em big in Texas. Long story short I like my Mustang seat. It is much better than the stock saddle, but:

It will push you forward toward the tank. This will make your legs bend a bit more than you may find comfortable. I compensate two ways. First I sit on a 1 1/4 inch sheepskin pad which I had purchased to try to make my old stock seat more comfy. The pad keeps my knees from being bent too much. Second I have highway pegs which give me room to stretch.

The Mustang seat is good for at least two hours before I need a rest. By then I need gas so it works out perfectly. Also, the Mustang seat gives me all day comfort, where with the stock seat I was numb in the butt after 30 minutes and wore out after two tanks of gas.

The navigator gives the Mustang pillion pad only slighty higher marks than the stock seat, but that really doesn't matter because it is better and she didn't complain about the other one unless I made her sit there all day.

If you do get the Mustang seat be careful when you install it. The metal bracket that bolts it to the bike is positioned perfectly to scratch the tank when you first install the seat. I think this is because the back of the saddle has to fit below the pillion pad. Other than that the Mustang seat is a home run hit.

Best of luck.

I have the Ultiamte set up on my 97 RSTD and feel it's the best money I've spent on my bike. BTW...I've never heard anything bad about the Ultimate. You can order one and try it. Don't like, send it back. Seat with no logos are not returnable. I think the passenger seat could be a bit more comfy but it's a huge improvement over the stock. Even with a Mustang, my butt would get sore...not once with the Ultimate.

Andy

Guest JGorom

I have a 2005 RSTD...tried the Mustang and it was not my cup of tea. I'm 6 foot and it pushed me too forward for my liking.

I purchased the Yamaha studded solo...which I believe is made by Corbin if I'm not mistaken...and I love it.

Everyone is different in what they like and don't like...you can't always judge your comfort from another, nor can you judge a manufacturers seat on a different bike.

My suggestion is find someone with a Mustang on a RSTD and see if they will let you try it out...you may have to go to a meet and eat function or find someone close to home and see if you can pay them a visit.

Later...

Guest GUZZI

Have had most all of the major brand aftermarket seats on various bikes thru the years. I went with the Corbin dual saddle on my 06 RSTD, with the driver backrest, and use the stock Yamaha backrest/luggage rack. Have 16500 miles on it so far, and the Corbin is great, especially if you are over 6ft tall, as it sets you back from the stock saddle. Last year I took the new bike from Fla to Calif, and thru the midwest, back to Fla. 7000 mile trip. Could'nt stand the stock saddle more than an hour at a time. Thankfully I had my bead cusion with me, or I could not have finished the trip home!!! The corbin beaded saddle looks nice, and is well finished. Since I purchased mine from Corbin, here in Daytona Beach, they have raised the pricing some $200!! Not good, but is still a great saddle. The Mustang seats for the RSTD are 2 piece, and I prefer the 1 piece setup from Corbin. Like shoes, a cycle saddle is something you never know if you like, until you spend a month or so riding. Corbin will tell you the breakin period is 1000 miles or more, and I found they are right. When I first installed the saddle, it was so hard, I almost took it back, but kept with it, and now, I would'nt trade for any other; so you takes your chances, and an expensive one at that. The one piece dual seat with backrest will set you back almost $1000; gag, choke, $#%@!!

Guzzi:sun:

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm finally in a position to buy an aftermarket seat. I hear great things about the Mustang's. And I've heard good & bad about the Ultimates. And I've heard more bad than good about Corbin's. I've only sat on the Mustang once and it was on a Valkyrie. I really wasn't sure what to think. I'm 6'4 and weigh about 300 pounds if that helps anyone help me make a decision. I also have to consider my wife's comfort if anyone has advise on that. Thanks, Scotty

Beware... different bikes have totally different ergonomics.. I had a Mustang and an Ultimate on a Valkyrie... AWESOME!!! Ultimate on the RSTD sucked.... because the frame of the RSTD dictates a too far forward, V-bottom seat. I had to keep searching to get away from the small, V-shaped seating area. Soooooo.... what works well on one bike model is not always good on another. JFWIW

I had Mustang on 98 Royal then switched to Corbin and Now I have a Corbin on my 05 RSTD and I really think it is the best