IGNORED

Heads Up On Headlight Switch

I encountered a really strange one on the road Saturday. We stopped for ggas and when I went to restart, it acted like my battery took a dump. We push started ok, but the voltmeter barely made it up to 12 volts. About a half hour down the road I just happened to notice that my Hi/Low beam switch was halfway inbetween the 2 settings, so I reset it. Almost immediately the voltmeter went up above 12 volts, and the problem was solved.

Fine and dandy, but yesterday I smelled a very faint burnt electrical smell, and looked, and sure enough the darnn switch was halfway inbetween again, same basic symptom. Put switch back and everything is beautiful again. I may be accidently hitting the switch when clutching as we have been doing a lot of twisties these last 2 days...

Just wanted to make you aware of a potential problem source!

You might want to open up the assembly, and check the Mechanical condition of that switch. ( you mentioned a burnt smell ) Possible High resistance Condition across the Switch Contacts. You might find some Burned contacts in that switch!!

What gets me George, is he's saying that the switch is inbetween the positions. I would think that possibly the spring is bad or it's just worn out. Probably has both elements lit up, thats why the volts are dropping. Just like having too many lights on. I would be leary of the switch, tho.

Dan

What gets me George, is he's saying that the switch is inbetween the positions. I would think that possibly the spring is bad or it's just worn out. Probably has both elements lit up, thats why the volts are dropping. Just like having too many lights on. I would be leary of the switch, tho.

Dan

Yes: I think a Switch Replacement is deffinatly in order here. No sence takeing a chance. Also, 12V on the meter sounds LOW. Should be OVER 13. ?????

I smell a rat--- Time to get the Volt/Ohm meter out

Hmmm, looks like "kill switch syndrome" is starting to affect the left handlebar now. Man this illness is traveling quick!! I hope a cure is found someday!!!! :smile5:

Dan

The cure exists.... Use the switch every time you turn off the engine. Keeps the contacts clean and corrosion free. You know what they say. "Use it or Lose It" :rotfl:

What gets me George, is he's saying that the switch is inbetween the positions. I would think that possibly the spring is bad or it's just worn out. Probably has both elements lit up, thats why the volts are dropping. Just like having too many lights on.

Yeah, agreed, but the alternator should handle an extra 55W without dropping to 12V. My bike has a pair of 55W driving lights (extra 110W) and it just barely handles it. I'm not saying it's normal or good to run with both headlight elements lit, but that should not kill the voltage if the engine is running a few rpm's.

Jeremy

A lot of times on my '86, in really dark areas or twisties at night, I'll run with the switch in that position and I've never had a problem or had much of a drop in the voltage. Of course the volt meter on these bikes isn't the most trust worthy! I do like the extra light!

Wow, interesting responses, guys!!

This mis bongobob on mother's computer. Found the switch in the same condition a couple of times today. Maybe too many twisties!!

I will disassemble and clean the switch when we get back...