IGNORED

problem after tire change

Hey guys,

I just had my rear tire changed by a shop down the street from where I work( I dropped it off because I did not have time to pull off the tire myself). Since the tire was changed I have a rubbing/squeeking noise when the bike is pushed backwards and it is there a little when going forward. It sounds like it is definitely coming from where the diff connects to the tire. There is no clicking noise and I have looked at the brakes and it is not coming from there. I was wondering if anyone had any Idea what they could have screwed up between the diff and the tire. I cannot think of anything in there that could cause this. I also drained the rear end oil and it is clean so I don't think it is in the rear diff. I am going into work early tomorrow to pull the tire and I was hoping someone might give me a tip on what to look for. I have pulled the tire before and it went back together no problem, so i can't think of anything in there that could be out of place. everything on the outside looks good nut on shaft is tight and spacer is installed correctly on right side. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

:bang head:

It is probably just the drive pins in the rear assembly - unrelated to the tire change. Pull them and grease them good. But be sure they put the spacer on the hub in correctly. This is the one that fits on the right side of the wheel over the grease seal. It should be completely smooth on the outside. If they put it in backward, it will have a raised lip around the axle. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Well I took it apart and when I loosened the pinch bolt the rear arm jumped jumped out a 1/2 inch!! The only thing I can figure is that the dumb a***** tightened the pinch bolt first then the axle nut. I did not see anything else wrong and I greased the drive splines really good but still have this noise. I am thinking maybe a bearing or something was put in a bind and will now have to replaced. sounds like maybe a good time for a V-Max rear gear swap.

Well I took it apart and when I loosened the pinch bolt the rear arm jumped jumped out a 1/2 inch!! The only thing I can figure is that the dumb a***** tightened the pinch bolt first then the axle nut. I did not see anything else wrong and I greased the drive splines really good but still have this noise. I am thinking maybe a bearing or something was put in a bind and will now have to replaced. sounds like maybe a good time for a V-Max rear gear swap.

You said you "greased the drive splines." Maybe it is just semantics, but splines are not "pins." If you did not remove the circlip and take the drive pins out of the drive hub, then you greased the wrong thing.

I assume you have turned the wheel while having it jacked up with everything in place except the brake calipers, listening for the sound? That should certainly help to pinpoint it. The only other thing I can suggest is the stiff plastic rim that sticks out all the way around the rear drive unit (works kind of like a shield to stop grease that is thrown off the drive "splines" from splattering on the rim). I imagine that it is possible that the plastic shield could have been mashed when carelessly mounting the wheel to the drive unit, causing a part of it to be bent in and drag on the hub as it turns. I haven't actually seen that happen, but seems possible, and it matches the way you described the sound. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose