Has anyone got A Gps that's made for bikes (weather proof) or a web site I can get info on one? Also took my first 300 Plus mile since i got rstd last weekend and it was great in the Ga mnts. 2 up and 50mpg Is that possible??

One more thing while Im at it I see USA maps where everyone has rode . Where might I find one of these as well.

Thank

Kelly

:hihi:

Has anyone got A Gps that's made for bikes (weather proof) or a web site I can get info on one? Also took my first 300 Plus mile since i got rstd last weekend and it was great in the Ga mnts. 2 up and 50mpg Is that possible??

One more thing while Im at it I see USA maps where everyone has rode . Where might I find one of these as well.

Thank

Kelly

:hihi:

Garmin Zumo 450 and the Zumo 550 are made for motorcycles.

Joe

here is a basic Garmin model that I have, while I have only had it a few days it seems to be very good for what I want. It moves easily from car to bike and its nice and portable to put in a pocket, and its waterproof. The software for all of north america is unlocked including the cities. I didnt need something with music and stuff and this seems to fit the bill for me for 129 bucks cdn.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3094213&CatId=2374

and heres a review of an older model of the Quest, mine is a newer model.

http://gpsinformation.us/quest/questrev.html

It comes with a mount for the car, but need to get a mount for the bike yet.

Brian

here is a basic Garmin model that I have, while I have only had it a few days it seems to be very good for what I want. It moves easily from car to bike and its nice and portable to put in a pocket, and its waterproof. The software for all of north america is unlocked including the cities. I didnt need something with music and stuff and this seems to fit the bill for me for 129 bucks cdn.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3094213&CatId=2374

and heres a review of an older model of the Quest, mine is a newer model.

http://gpsinformation.us/quest/questrev.html

It comes with a mount for the car, but need to get a mount for the bike yet.

Brian

Do you have a photo of your install Brian? how about the audio? can you hear the directions over the wind?

I just got a Zumo 550 for my bike.. comes with a bike and a car mount so you can move it back and forth.. Seems to work very well, I actually have the voice turned off and just read the directions so it doesn't talk over the built in MP3 player.. I also added a 4 gig SD mem card and have it loaded with about 500 songs and still have 1.2 gig left. Zumo 550 is limited to 1000 songs no matter how big a mem card you put in.. But the more songs you have the longer it take the Zumo to finish booting up, so I wouldn't want to go over 1000 anyway.

Once you figure out how to turn up both hard and soft volumes on the 550 it is pretty loud and clear through the bike's system. So I would think you would be able to hear it through the speakers fairly well.

Do you have a photo of your install Brian? how about the audio? can you hear the directions over the wind?

No mount for the bike yet, but I had it attached to the handlbars with velcro strips for a day just to see how it worked and yes i could here the directions at low speeds around town but on the highway I had to look at it. But I cant hear my stereo on the highway either and I have a Kenwood deck with pioneer speakers so it may not be the GPS issue just a loud bike.

Brian:cool10::cool10:

• 1 month later...

I looked at the expensive Bike waterproof ones and bought an el-cheapo magellan 3100. not waterproof but only $95.00 on amazon.com (you can get refurbs for less than $90.00) I can replace mine every year for 3 years for less than the price of the motorcycle specific waterproof ones. Cant hear it but I turn the volume all the way down anyways, I'd rather look at it than listen to the prompts. Bike mount is $16.00 for that model.

Note: you cut your cost on map upgrades if you buy a new one every year.

Once you figure out how to turn up both hard and soft volumes on the 550 it is pretty loud and clear through the bike's system. So I would think you would be able to hear it through the speakers fairly well.

What is the trick to getting better volume out of the... what is the difference between the soft and hard.

I have the 550 and only know of the adjustment on the screen

No mount for the bike yet, but I had it attached to the handlbars with velcro strips for a day just to see how it worked and yes i could here the directions at low speeds around town but on the highway I had to look at it. But I cant hear my stereo on the highway either and I have a Kenwood deck with pioneer speakers so it may not be the GPS issue just a loud bike.

Brian:cool10::cool10:

Brian, buy my bike and I will throw in the Garmin and the mount!

I bought a Lowrance XOG, that is waterproof, and vibration resistant so it's meant for bikes. Little hard to see in bright daylight, doesn't accept all 4 gig cards and the screen is a little small for my liking. Paid $220.00 at RadioWorld.com. Guess new it's worth about 300. I would recommend the Zumo 550 if you can afford it, but then what wil they come up with next year??????maybe something cheaper and better, who knows? I like the voice prompts, that way my eyes can stay on the road where they belong and Naddie doesn't get all that bothersome, 'course then I only use it because I got for my birthday, I really hardly ever go the way I told. The music is nice though, and it doesn't matter how many songs I load.

What is the trick to getting better volume out of the... what is the difference between the soft and hard.

I have the 550 and only know of the adjustment on the screen

Soft Volume,, is controlled on screen.. press the wrench, then the volume box, and independently the radio/mp3 and/or the voice volume.

Hard volume,, is controlled with the buttons on the left side of the unit, and only functions when in a powered mount. Press the bottom left (volume) button, a yellow volume bar graph will appear on the right side of the screen. use the + and - buttons on the left side of the unit to adjust.

The Iway 500c lowrance is waterproof and comes with motorcycle mount. It has a 5 inch screen you can see in direct sun light.

I have a 500c also and like it a lot. Just a few things that I'd like to see on it though, the first would be the ability to configure it to avoid U-turns. When I decide at the last minute to vary off course to check out an interesting road, it nags the heck out of me to turn around and go back to its chosen course. I'd like for it to just recalculate to my destination using the road that I have turned on to.

I also would like for it to be lighter in weight. The thing is a monster. I have it mounted on the bike, but nothing seems to be real solid. It just weighs so much that it bounces around with every little bump I hit. How do you have yours mounted? Does it bounce around like mine? I'm always worrying that the mount is going to break from the constant jiggling of this beast.

Joe

• 1 month later...