Ok, don't get excited..., but I went to look at a 99RSV yesterday. It was a salve that the owner was trying to rebuild, and had bought some of the parts needed off Ebay. It had seen better days with lots of damage to the plastic, dented tank, etc. The motor is reputed to have a V-Max cam installed, but no documentation. I basically turned it down because I don't need another 'project' in my life, but then got to thinking that maybe it might have some redeeming value. Repaint it black?? I took a bunch of pics HERE , and if you look at the pics of the rear end it looks like the saddles and tire are out of alignment. Or maybe it's an optical illusion?? Whatcha think?? :detective:

I think I'd have to see it in person Jack. But if the plastic is pretty far gone, it would be a toss up unless you knew somebody that could fix the scratch's the way it is. Would like to see how it performs with the V-Max cam in it though. :whistling:

I wouldn't think a whole lot as your right, it would be a project. Now it's mentioned about Vmax cams being installed, did he do it himself or have it professionally done? I dont trust many people for doing internal engine work, as I have seen some hacks. I wouldn't go any higher than $4000 for it, probably less, it's not in very good shape at all. You can find one for $7K that would basically need nothing, 0.98 less than a buck

:confused24:

Mine was as bad as that when I bought it without all the accessories that ones got... That guy spent some money on that bike... Chrome wheels, diamond cut jugs, Yammie chrome.. Can't really tell from the pictures if anythings tweaked... but if the fork and frame is straight the rest of the stuff is bolt on and repairable. If it runs and the price is right I would do it. how many miles?

how many miles?

60K. A previous owner supposedly did the engine mods. Weather it was done under a shade tree, or in a shop, is a mystery?? Or if it was done at all, and just hear say?? There is no work order proving it.

I wouldn't think a whole lot as your right, it would be a project. Now it's mentioned about Vmax cams being installed, did he do it himself or have it professionally done? I dont trust many people for doing internal engine work, as I have seen some hacks. I wouldn't go any higher than $4000 for it, probably less, it's not in very good shape at all. You can find one for $7K that would basically need nothing, 0.98 less than a buck

:confused24:

This is my thinking Brad. It's a buyers market. The bike needs lots of help. There's no guarantee the frame hasn't been tweaked. The trade in value of a '99RSV is around $5,300. Plastic parts don't come cheap. I can fix most of the busted plastic, but would be looking at a professional paint job. Most of the chrome outside of the engine area would need to be rechromed or buffed out...the chrome surfaces have been scratched up pretty good. The LH passenger floorboard is toast. It has a salve title, so as far as any insurance company is concerned it has no value. It'd take a lot of work getting it back on the road. I figured if I couldn't pick it up for around a grand it would cost me more to fix it than I'd spend going out and buying a clean low miler. I don't mind sweat equity, but I don't really like paying anyone for the privilege of sweating. :)

I hear you Jack, the $4K would be the most I would spend and thats with putting about $3K into it afterwards to have a nice looking solid bike. Then you right at the value of a good used one. I know you and you'll tell him how it is should you decide to go for it. I would like to have one like that for a second bike to burn the miles on back and forth to work....which is a 100+ miles a day

:yikes:

• 2 months later...
hey condor, where did you see that bike at ?? would like to see it or the pics, can not open them, can you send them to me @abdiver1@sbcglobal.net. thansk mark

I never went after it because of the money he wanted out of it. He listed it again on CL, and I was warming up to toss a grand at him, but after about 3 days the ad was deleted, so I assume he finally found a buyer. I actually still have the pics in a file, but it's kinda a moot point now.