IGNORED

Deer

Guest cwil2988

Guest cwil2988

Food for thought; there are a lot of deer on the road this year here in central Ky. I don't know how many deer hunters we have on here, but anyone who has interest in this sport could also help manage the population. We as humans have built their habitat out of existence, and they have to eat, so they go to road sides, gardens, etc. They are also an excellent food source when prepared right, and cannot be distinguished from beef. We all need to do our part, this could have impact on safety, insurance rates, and other areas. I understand that hunting is not for everyone, but we are losing hunters at an alarming rate, because kids are not being exposed to it. It is a proven fact that kids involved in outdoor activities do better in school, and stay out of trouble more.

just something to consider and reflect on

:thumbsup2:

Bambi on the table yum yum yum

Thumper in a stew for me and you

Taught all my kids to hunt since they were old enough to sight the 22.

Prior to moving from Alaska all my kids had taken a caribou by the time they were 12.

All of them were or are honor roll students and all in the top 5 of their classes.

I never pushed them on the school and firmly believe that the confidence that learned in the

field, knowing they could take care of themselves no matter what, was what made the difference.

They also learned respect for hard work and are respectful of others because of this.

Packing out a caribou is not easy work let me tell you.

When we move to the lower 48 and lived in a more urban area they didn't have to prove

themselves to anyone else. They knew who they were and what they had inside them so

they didn't need to bend to per pressure to fit in.

Teaching your kids to hunt is not just about shooting something.

It is way bigger than that.

mmmmmm.......deer.

Deer is good eatin'. I miss deer meat. In southern Illinois, deer season is a holiday.

Ain't no deer up here in the Texas Pothandle worth eatin'.

How about Jack-o-lope or my personal favorite Armadillo.

Mama:big-grin-emoticon:

I couldn't agree more cwil2988. As a WV hunter education instructor. You have to teach the kids the safety than hope they have someone to go out in the field with them that is responsible. I personnally have been hunting since I was around 10. My mother and father both hunted. Learned with 22 and 410 then moved up. Hunting season is like a holiday here in WV. Our schools even take the week off.

I don't recommend riding bikes after dark in central WV. We try our best not too. Just last night coming home at 1:30 this morning had to stop the truck about 5 times in 13 miles due to deer in or crossing the road. That did not count the others standing beside the road. Knock on wood have only had one deer really hit me (run into the side of my truck) in driving at night in the last 4 years. There are plenty deer and the people hunting seems to be smaller. Too many deer to a area means starving, disease, more auto and bikes hitting them. Sad. Seen one on the way to work at 3:30 pm yesterday beside the road and it's ribs were showing. And yes guys have already seen bucks.:2cents: Plus the meat is great. Very good for you. Lowfat.

:rudolf::rudolf:tell me about it yesterday i was going north on i 65 just out of the blue a huge buck jumps the fence looks hard at me and jumped back ,pucker factor of 100 at that point,this was just north of sellersburg In.

Here in Missouri they have it set up if you are land owner you get free tags and anyone that lives on your property can get free tags. In my area if you own more than 75 acres that equals 4 tags for archary ( 1any deer tag and 3 doe tags) 3 for rifle and muzzel loader (1any deer and 2 doe) with 7 people that equals 49.

Im the only one that hunts every year, if its not to cold the wife may go out. I usually get 2 1 for the wife and I and one for my neighbor retired Gunny ( just turned 76 last sat and still gungho Marine) who cant get out into the woods anymore. I process all my own meat so getting more than 2 is just to much work. Wish I could do more, we have alot of deer down here.

Thats why I dont ride much a night around here unless I absalutly have to then I dont go over 40 when doing it.

John

i think one of the problems you guys have, is "trophy deer".

LOTS of people from some really overpopulated deer country, think the only place to hunt, is "south texas brush country".

we have plenty of deer, but the trophies are dwindling fast, because of all the hunting pressure.

couple that with the fact, that diseases run rampant , around here, (i strongly believe that it is related to all the refinery pollution), many long time hunters, will not eat wild meat from certain counties in our area.

just jt

Living in Omaha, NE you don't see a lot of deer around town but the other day I got a surprise and so did about 100 other drivers. I was on the VR riding West on I-80 coming up on the downtown interchange of I-480 at about 4:30 PM. Just the beginning of rush hour. There are about 5 lanes each way counting ramps for Hwy 75, I-80 and I-480. It's the pretzel from hell at rush hour. From the North a nice sized buck came down from the residential area and shot out into the WB lanes of I-80, danced around into the middle lanes then turned West and ran with traffic for about 100 yards, turned South again and jumped the concrete center divider and ran head on into traffic on the EB side until he worked his way to the shoulder and shot off into another residential area.

He made it. However there were a few sideswipes going on from the cagers gawking at the pretty deer. I got out of it fine but I was tasting my undies when I got back into the clear.

Deer: 1

Cagers: 0

Pucker Factor: 95%

Guest cwil2988

Just picked up the hunting guide for Ky for this year. We (zone4) are limited to basically one deer with a firearm, and must be antlered. If I bow hunt, I can take antleredless deer, but I gave up bow hunting several years ago because of neck and back problems. Guess I will have to start again, maybe get a medical release to use a crossbow all season. I am not real happy with Ky fish and wildlife right now.

Guest cwil2988

I was getting ready to email fish and Wildlife, and I noticed on their website the zoning looked different. I am somewhat colorblind, and the guide had a map printed in it that showed the zones by color. On the website, it shows up better, and I guess I panicked for nothing. can still get my does for the freezer. My appologies to anyone who needs it, guess I didn't look before I leaped.:doh:

Guest cwil2988

"Im the only one that hunts every year, if its not to cold the wife may go out. I usually get 2 1 for the wife and I and one for my neighbor retired Gunny ( just turned 76 last sat and still gungho Marine) who cant get out into the woods anymore. I process all my own meat so getting more than 2 is just to much work. Wish I could do more, we have alot of deer down here."

We have ours processed by a proffesional meat cutter. He charges 60 dollars per animal, and you get all of it back. He doesn't pinch a little for himself like a lot of them do. We uually get 1 or 2 just for salami and jerkey, these we debone ourselves. We have become pretty good at deboning one while it is hanging, and with two of us doing it, we can be done in less than an hour. Didn't get enough for this last year and have rationed out what I have from 2 seasons ago, but it is looking slim in the freezer. this is my favorite way to eat them

Sorry Dooder, didn't edit the quote right

Edited by cwil2988
jumbled up

Lots of deer, but hunting areas are hard to come by. I can pick off 3 or 4 from my yard most days, but my neighbors would call the sheriff. Private lands are off limits or leased; public lands are good for about 2 or 3 days before they're overrun and the deer spooked. The best places to go are the state parks; lots of deer, browsing on the golf courses. Need a special hunt permit, usually bows only.