IGNORED

Searching For a Good Mechanic in Northern NJ

I have an 1984 Venture that I bought 2 years ago with the hopes that I would bring here back to here glory and ride all over creation.

Well she's sat for over a year in my garage and its now time to get out and ride.

Can't get it running and I'm looking for a good mechanic.

I'm in Morristown NJ anyone have a suggestion.

Thanks

Jim

James I do not know of any good mechanics in your area But there may be one or two here that I am not aware of.

Whats the bike doing we can talk you through just about any problems you have.

If the bike runs even poorly

First thing I want you to do is get a can of seafoam and put it in the bike let it run for about 15 minuetes and shut it down.Let it set for the weekend at least 2 days. and then try it again the seafoam works wonders.

You can call me at 9196735095 anytime between 4 and 9 pm weekdays and after 10 am and before 10 pm on the weekends if you need any questions answered.

Jeff

Hello Fellow Morristowner - I live here too.

Ok - There is East Hanover Powersports - not great - but not bad either. I have used them serveral times. A bit impersonal - but they are honest. Lou Kosco and RT 15 Powersports is just about out of business (at least that what the signs on his door say).

The best I have found is FW Speer, they smaller guys off Rt 3 (near Hoffman LaRoche). You can find them on the web at http://www.speeryamaha.com/. They have taken great care of both my 2000 RSV and my XT 225. Great bunch of guys, very trust-worthy. A bit of a drive from Morristown - but worth it, you will not be dissappointed.

There is also Yamaha of Ramsey - a number of our guys in the STAR Chapter 218 use them as well without complaints. Apparently his service department is good.

Once your bike is up and running - if your interested - please feel free to contact me if you like to join the STAR Touring North Jersey Group (Chapter 218). We meet the 3rd sunday of every month. Would love to have you in the group. You can visit us at www.startouring218.com.

If you have further questions - please don't hesitate to PM me.

Stuart

But thanks for the replies.

It was runnig rough when I first bought it and now it won't start at all.

I ran the can of sea foam thru it in 2006 and it seemed to run a little better (maybe my imagination.

But it sat all of 2007 due to me playing with other toys.

Now when I try to start it it backfires and won;t run.

And I really need to get the brakes fixed also, something I usually don;t like to putz with

Besides the year you let it sit how long did it sit? If you only ran one can of seafoam through it and it sat for a while before you got it, may take a few more cans to get the gunk out. I'm guessing it had gas sitting in it while it sat.

Did you have the battery on a tender while it sat?

The guys are gonna need a bit more info to help you get her running.

How many miles does she have?

The guys can get you through the brakes fairly easily.

Good luck getting her running.

Margaret

Looks like I'll be doing a lot myself I guess

Stuart thanks for the recommendations, but apparently no on hase time or wants to work on it.

Here are my symptoms:

It cranks over, probably not very strongly so I'll put a better charge on the battery.

When it cranks it sometimes backfires, so I guess I'll pull the plugs and check them as recommended and then run some more seafoam thru it.

Anything else I should check, any tips or gotchas for pulling the plugs?

Can the carbs easly be drained?

Oh and it has now sat a year in my garage, not sure how long it sat before 2006.

Thanks everyone,

Jim

Sorry there's nobody close by to help you out. The guys on this site can talk you through anything you need to do. You can call when you get stuck or aren't sure of something also. Sorry we aren't closer to give you a hand. Kinda a shame you hadn't posted ealier we were up in staten island over the 4th. Might have been able to get over to help you.

Don't give up you'll get it up and running.

Margaret

to answer one of your questions , james, yes. the carbs are VERY easy to drain. each one has a drain screw in the outboard side.

you might think about "upgrading" your battery cables to the larger size that "squid", used to make. someone else is making and selling them, here, now.

can't remember the members name, but the larger gauge wires, sure improve starter performance.

just jt

1)

In my experience the battery capacity is only just enough for this, and many other, bikes. When lots of starter use is necessary, the lack of battery capacity quickly becomes a liability that masks and obscures other issues.

Trouble is that the starter draws lots of current, which causes the battery voltage to drop below the point that the ignition electronics needs to do its job. This happens sooner with an older battery but is inevitable eventually, regardless of battery age if lots of starter use is happening.

When I am having difficulties that involve lots of use of the starter, I don't fool around. I jumper a spare truck battery across the terminals of the bike battery. I suggest you do likewise, while troubleshooting your problem, using the largest gauge jumper cables you can lay your hands on. (I have used cable tie wraps to secure the jumper cable jaws inplace or to take the weight of the cables so I don't have to worry about them slipping off.)

2)

Does the bike fire at all if you squirt a blast of quickstart type spray into the airbox prior to hitting the start button? This is an invaluable troubleshooting tool IMHO.

Hope this is of some help & let us know how you get on.

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont