IGNORED

irratic temperature indication 88 VR

this one is puzzling me, since I changed to a new battery, my temperature sensor is acting erratic, I think it's electrical, poor ground maybe????,.... my old battery was always demanding a 16V charge, but the new battery, at idle is around 13V, at that time the temp indicator goes off-scale low ( reads less than zero), as soon as I rev up, it jumps to 1/3 scale, where you would expect it to be....... as soon as you come to rest it goes low again, and from time to time it jumps around 1/8" while riding,....I checked the manual, and it gives the location of the temperature sending unit..... can anyone tell me where the physical location to the ground is ???? JOHN ( or any other thoughts on the subject:confused24:

Sure sounds like you have some wiring problems. 16v is to much for the charge and I doubt it would be charging much at idle.

You may want to check the battery with a good volt meter just to make sure what it is doing. I bet you have a bad connection somewhere. One of the first places I always check is the three wire plug that comes from the stator.

Jerry

this one is puzzling me, since I changed to a new battery, my temperature sensor is acting erratic, I think it's electrical, poor ground maybe????,.... my old battery was always demanding a 16V charge, but the new battery, at idle is around 13V, at that time the temp indicator goes off-scale low ( reads less than zero), as soon as I rev up, it jumps to 1/3 scale, where you would expect it to be....... as soon as you come to rest it goes low again, and from time to time it jumps around 1/8" while riding,....I checked the manual, and it gives the location of the temperature sending unit..... can anyone tell me where the physical location to the ground is ???? JOHN ( or any other thoughts on the subject:confused24:

Make sure the wire connector on the end of the sensor is clean and tight.My temp was erratic too and fixing this wire took care of the problem for me...:080402gudl_prv: