IGNORED

Need Travel information

1 - UP

I'm leaving the Space Center Area in Florida around September 9th, and traveling to Indianapolis, Indiana and I don't want to use the Interstates. Has anyone traveled in or near this area that could tell me some good roads to take. I'm taking my camper and plan on taking about 3 days. I'm in no hurry and would like to see some sites on the way. Also if you have any infromation on camp sites I would like to know that.

Thanks,

Ken:backinmyday:

Are you going to be passing through Atl on you journey, if so, let me know ,if you can when you will be passing through and maybe we can meet for coffee or a meal, I need an excuse to go out and eat. You say taking camper, bike camper or big camper like Jerry's....:stirthepot::stirthepot:

I'm leaving the Space Center Area in Florida around September 9th, and traveling to Indianapolis, Indiana and I don't want to use the Interstates. Has anyone traveled in or near this area that could tell me some good roads to take. I'm taking my camper and plan on taking about 3 days. I'm in no hurry and would like to see some sites on the way. Also if you have any infromation on camp sites I would like to know that.

Thanks,

Ken:backinmyday:

I really can't plot you a ride, but i just did 52 thru Viriginia and 20 thru Wva and I highly recommend them. When you enter Ohio, you can take US40(National Road all the way to Indy.It(40 parrallels I70)

I really can't plot you a ride, but i just did 52 thru Viriginia and 20 thru Wva and I highly recommend them. When you enter Ohio, you can take US40(National Road all the way to Indy.It(40 parrallels I70)

Thank you, I'll look those routes up on the map and see where they are located.

Lewis, I'll be pulling my MC camper behind the trike.

Ken:178:

My most direct knowledge of that route involves interstates. A sailor on leave isn't looking for the scenic route.

Back in "the day" US 421 was a primary "going south" route from here, at least through Indiana and Kentucky. It goes all the way to Wilmington South Carolina. The stretch from Gates City, KY to Greensburg, IN, where it gets swallowed up by I 74, tends to be pretty scenic.

I'm afraid I can't address the camping issue. When I rode that route last my Mom-in-law lived in Corbin so we just stayed at the bottom of the holler, with them.

My sister in law says she and her husband took US 41 from Florida to Terre Haute. They took four days, but could probably have done it in three.

Edited by Bummer
Added 41

you may want to look at us 280 up thru ga and to birmingham, al. checkout www.29dreams.com if you want to stay around b'ham. also checkout barber's bike museum in leeds, there's a link at 29dreams.from there you can look at 411 to 231 on upthru huntsville and on to murfreeboro, tn, all this is a good road and there's a nice park on the tn river before you get to huntsville if you want to take a break around there. after mufreesboro, i don't know much pass that. if you have plenty of time you can stay on 411 up to lake wiss at leesburg, al and go thru the little river canyon up to desoto state park. you can look it up at www.nationalparksservices.com , deepest gorge in eastern us. hope this helps out and y'all be safe. if you stop around b'ham give me a call and i'll try to meet you for a tour around town.

Cocoa Beach/Space Center area, 528 west to US 27 north. Us 27 north to Cincinnati, Us 52 west to Indy. As you cruise through Lexington and Paris give us a call and we'll join you for a meal somewhere if we can get away without holding you up.

Mileage is unknown but easily calculated, I've made the same trip before, in partial legs. Cocoa to Chattanooga is a long day, Chattanooga to Cinci is another long day. Cinci to Indy is only 2 hours via 52

1-UP, let me know which route you end up coming into Indiana, and I'll ride down and meet you and ride back up with 'ya. I just live on the SE side of Indy, no problem going South to Madison (421) or over to Cincinnati (52) to hook up. 421 is nice roads in Ind., 74 is not bad at all for traffic, always pretty light. And we can always run up to 52 from Greensburg if you really don't want to do super-slab.

Dan

Thanks to all. Now I have some homework to do. I'm looking forward to my trip. I like all the infromation that you all gave me. I guess I'll have to plan on more than one trip to Indy so I can try all these routes.

Dan, e-mail me and let me know where on the SE side of Indy you live. I use to live on that side also. When I was a Deputy there I patroled a lot in Franklin Twp. I lived there for 45 years of my life. Would like to move back when the temps don't get below 50 degrees.

Thanks,

Ken