IGNORED

Exhaust Gasket 84 venture

ok so as many of you know i've had terrible MPG and power issues with my 84 venture royale. originaly thought it was my carb being gummed up or needing a good sync. well the otherday I was just about pulling my hair out trying to get the carbs synced. No matter how much I turned the screws the back 2 carbs always had may more suction then the front two carbs.

I found the back 2 exhaust pipes could move freely just by my hand this leads me to believe my exhaust gaskets are none existant at this point. my question is i've heard that the gaskets are very expensive if you buy from the dealer, is there a good source to purchase these or anyone know of what material they are made from and if it would be cheaper to make my own?

I'd love to get this bike running right i can't afford the MPG i'm getting with it right now. any help is greatly appreciated and desperatly needed.

Tiny,

Here are some on ebay for where the pipes connect to the heads

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-VENTURE-VMAX-ROYAL-STAR-EXHAUST-GASKETS_W0QQitemZ170238934076QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170238934076&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

I know that I have heard of folks asing Copper tubing for where the pipes go into the collector, I'm sure some of the 1st genners will chime in soon.

ok glad to hear that. I had priced them out at bikebandit.com but they always seem to rape me on shipping. glad the price is about the same at the dealer I guess i'll have to hit up my dealer tomorrow and see if i cant get some good results out of this bike soon.

Actually the gaskets are only about $10.00 each from the dealer its the clamps that are real pricey.

Jeff

Not at some CDN dealers they want $25. each. That is why I have been ordering at Flatout, to get away from the gouging.....

Check out www.flatoutmotorcycles.com, they give great internet prices and treat us real good. Let them know you're with Ventureriders if you order. They are local to me so let me know if you need some help.

Do you hear any exhaust noise coming from the rear, or "popping" on deceleration? These are clues the exhaust is leaking.

If the round gaskets at the upper connection of the downtubes in the rear to the stubs coming out of the head is loose, you can remove the clamps, take a piece of solid #12 copper wire and wrap around the tube next to the gasket, reinstall your clamp and it will help to tighten things up.

ok so I got a pair of them from my local dealer. only charged me $11 for the pair.

well I got to installing them but once i got the new gaskets on I couldn't get the clamp to go back on. the gasket just makes the gap too wide for the clamps to fit...

I have one of my mechanicaly inclined friends coming over this evening to see what we can figure out.