IGNORED

NE US route plans ?

onerider

A couple of us are riding from Toronto, Ont to Nova Scotia next Friday. We are planning to take most of the way there through the US. Once into Vermont, we are planning roughly the following route:#11 south to just north of Burlington Vt then #15 east joining #2 around St Johnsbury following it through NH into Maine all the way to Bangor then #9 into New Brunswick.

We hope this is a fairly senic reasonably quick route without getting onto the interstates or major highways for too long.

Can anyone from these areas comment on these roads, the conditions we may expect or anything we need to be cautious about during the trip. (ie construction, closures etc.) Do not expect there will be but just thought I would ask the question to be sure.

Thanks for any help or comments you are able to provide.

Robert

Not sure where Rte 11 is unless you mean NY... If you're crossing NW VT and want to minimize Interstates... I'd suggest I-89 S to 104A E to 104E to 15E to US-2 all the way to Bangor, ME where 2 runs right into I-395 which will hook you up with "The Airline" Rte 9 to a short jaunt down Rte 1 S to the Calais - St. Stephen Border Crossing... Not the most scenic ride Northern New England has to offer but pretty good... Should take 7 - 8 hours riding time depending on your pace...

Local info:

• Helmets optional for adults in NH & ME
  • Lots of wildlife on this route... Moose, Deer, Bear, Fox, Coyotes, Racoons, Porqupine, etc... Be very careful at Dusk - Night.. Moose eyes don't reflect like Deer and their darker color makes them harder to see at night.
  • ME is not 'line-locked".. You can pass legally on a double solid yellow line... But you must use your head and can still be charged with unsafe passing... but it comes in handy with slow vehicles and farm equipment... Not sure about VT & NH.. and Vt has too few passing areas for my liking.
  • Can have alot of Truck Traffic from St. Johnsbury, VT to Newport, ME.
  • Alternate Route: Take the Cat High Speed Ferry from Bar Harbor, ME to Yarmouth, NS and ride roads back. http://www.catferry.com/fares-pricing/ ... It costs about $170 for bike & rider.. $79 for passenger.
  • If you have a little extra time you can go south on I-93 through Franconia Notch State Park... One of the most scenic NH has to offer and ride down to Lincoln and across Rte 112 which is known as the Kancamagus Highway which runs through the heart of the White Mountains.. It will add about 50 miles and 1 Hour travel time to your trip... I think it's worth it if you have the time.

Have a safe trip,

Thanks Maineac for the reply. Much appreciated. Yes #11 is in NY and connects with #2 in Vt which we were going to follow south past South Hero & work over to #15E. The rest of our route is pretty much as you suggest. Maybe not the most scenic but we do have a limited amount of time & this seemed to be the best we could do. We plan on riding to Saint John NB & taking the ferry from there into Digby NS where my buddy is from.

Thanks again for your help.

Robert

In VT, don't miss highway 17 across the northern edge of the Green Mtn Nat'l Park. Incredible road. Also, in NH, take the time to ride up Mt. Washington. It costs $12 and is money well spent.

Hwy 17 is a little south of your route. However, Mt. Wash is just a few mile detour south from Gorham.

Have a safe ride.

RR