IGNORED

Staying dry?

a1bummer

What if a good way to waterproof leather boots, coats, gloves, etc.? I got my feet soaked a few weeks ago so I cleaned, repolished, then used some waterproofing product in a spraycan. I can't remember what brand right now. On my trip down to Diamond, MO. on Tuesday and Wednesday. I got stuck in the rain, sleet, and snow. My feet still got soaked. I have new gloves that kept my hands pretty dry and warm. My coat kept me warm and dry all the way. I found some stuff from KIWI called WET PRUF. I put it on my gloves and boots and will find out how it works on my way back to Cadott, WI. Well hopefully I won't have to find out if it works. I didn't think about Mink Oil till after the fact. How about Saddle Soap? I assume that's used to clean leather. Doe it waterproof at all? THNX, BILL

A great product I've used on my hiking boots is called Snow Seal , never got wet feet unless the puddle was deeper than my boots were tall.

As far as jacket, pants and gloves I know of no better wet protection than gortex, but no good for protection from road rash.

I think it will be good to hear what really works for people , as we all get caught in the rain or worse.

I use mink oil on my leather hunting boots and have stepped in 6 inch deep puddles and my feet stay perfectly dry. the thing is to work whatever you use into the sticthing really good as most times water will leak through the seams first. Thats just my experience any way.

Paul

Easiest solution is to get a pair of rain boots. I use Firstgear boots that have a membrane in them that keeps my feet bone dry. Also keeps my feet warm in the winter with an extra pair of socks down to 15 degrees F.

For the rest of me, I use a Nelson-Rigg rainsuit over my mesh armor jacket and pants. Never gets my dress clothes wet during my commute.

Gloves are Tourmaster GX summer weight rain proof. Only gripe with these is the lining material tends to pull out a little when I remove the gloves, making it more of an effort to put back on the next time.

Bike Bandit has rain gear on sale right now.

If you want to waterproof your own jacket, pants, etc, the best stuff I have found is the waterproofing they sell for tents. You can get it from any outdoor sports good supplier, REI, Gander Mountain etc.

I also recommend gaiters. Best place I have found to get them at a decent price is Fleet Farm. Now is a good time to get them as they usually carry them for the ice fishing season and they should be on sale now.

I got my feet soaked a few weeks ago so I cleaned, repolished, then used some waterproofing product in a spraycan.
Bill, what kind of boots do you wear now? All these guys have great suggestions for products but some won't work on every material. It would help to know what needs to be waterproofed. :)

You ride in sleet and snow? :eek: You are :sign outstanding: . I haven't done that in years...obviously given my surroundings. :)

Guest Northstar

I have a friend that uses a product made of bee's wax to clean up his leathers; this also is a good for water proofing. I'll try to find out the name and pass it along.