IGNORED

Engine Turns Over BUT NO SPARK

O.K. last Saturday morning when cold starting my 1986 VR, I left the Choke on too long and the engine stopped. Initially, the engine "fired right off" with the Choke on; however, after about 10 seconds with the Choke still on, the engine died and I have not been able to get it started since. It had been sitting for about three months with about two gallons of gas in it until three weeks ago when I rode it around the block several times. The battery has remained fully charged; however, it will not "fire off" after Saturday's episode with the Choke. The plugs and wires only have about 500 miles on them; however, they were installed about 2 years now. Tonight, I poured about 4 ounces of Seafoam in the gas tank hoping it might remove any varnishing, mositure, and/or trash deposits. I can smell gas after trying to crank it for about 15 seconds with the choke on.

Question: I have read that to much Choke on a start up could cause the plugs to permanently foul out. Have you ever experienced this scenerio? Also, let me your thoughts and ideas what might be wrong.

Thanks,

Allen

Question: How far open have you been holding the Throttle ?

Do not open the throttle on these bikes, more than, about 1/8 and 1/4 turn at the most !

On my 89,--- if --- I hold open the throttle to 1/4 to 1/2 open, the Engine WILL NOT START !!!. Don't ask me why. Otherwise, it starts and runs perfect.

Cold engine, 1/2 choke, and about 1/8 at most, open throttle.

I am not saying that this IS, your problem, just something to be aware of.

Also: Check the 15 Amp, Ignition fuse, and especially the Fuse Holder. They get Bent, and fuse does not make good contact.

Check ALL your Fuse holders on the fuse block on top of the battery.

Clean your Run-Stop Switch, with some " Electrical Contact Cleaner" ( give it a bath)

Check your 40 Amp, Main Fuse.

If you have not done so, then Drain, All Four Carb Bowls, Each has a Seperate Drain hose, ( #2 phillips head screw on each carb to open the drain)

This should get you started.

You have killed your plugs,just run out and get a new set and pitch the old ones they are finshed,i have done the same thing with the choke on to long, the plugs wont take it. when you get the new plugs in dont use the choke maybe a little gas and fire it up,take her out and run hell out of it.:080402gudl_prv:

I agree with 93, try a new set of plugs. George has some good Ideas, but I think you will find the plugs are shot. I never use the throttle on a cold start, if it is chilly outside, I use full choke and if it is warmer, I use 3/4 to 1/2 choke. After a minute or so I turn the choke off. I just use the stock ngk plugs, so if I get "sloppy" with the choke It's not a big deal to replace them.

Earl

Can someone tell me how the plugs can be "shot"?

I guess I'm still lost in the 70s where, as long as you had a usable electrode and tip... clean 'em up and toss 'em back in.

I know these bike don't give a very bright spark, but what the heck happens...?

And you can't LOOK at the plugs and tell? I really am curious.

Thanks.

Mike

Im not sure whats happens to the plugs after you flood them out with gas,but i have removed them before and cleaned them up put them back in and work fine,then i have cleaned them up it would have a miss fire at times,then you end up trying to figure out if its the plug or wires,coil going out, why go though the problems to save a few bucks,just put a new set in and be done with it. Unless you like to waste your time. :stickpoke: