IGNORED

Pix of new carrier!

Thought I'd throw out pix of the carrier Gary made. Works like a gem. We bought the box from Fleet Farm and he did a little upgrading. Sure get a lot of comments when we use it!

[attach]19422[/attach]

[attach]19423[/attach]

[attach]19424[/attach]

Wouldn't that be fun for a day! Gary says it does handle a little different, but easy to get used to. He had 2 holes drilled in the tongue and 2 in the carrier to give it a lot of stability. We took it out to the Black Hills for a week, packed it full and it worked great!

Thought I'd throw out pix of the carrier Gary made. Works like a gem. We bought the box from Fleet Farm and he did a little upgrading. Sure get a lot of comments when we use it!

[attach]19422[/attach]

[attach]19423[/attach]

[attach]19424[/attach]

I want one! :thumbsup: How is it attached to the bike? Via a Hitch?:confused24:

How much for an Illinois neighbor?:whistling::biker:

I just have to throw in my 2 cents in...

I would think that sure is a lot of weight for those 4 small bolts that hole the tubeular frame piece on....

Not so sure the original design was able to support the weight of the metal box, let alone what you just might put in it..

I wouldnt exceed 35 lbs on it myself..

Again, just my 2 cents worth..:whistling:

Hey Road Kill:The carrier is bolted to the hitch he made. It's got 2 holes in the hitch and 2 in the carrier for extra support. He bolted an 1/8" stainless steel plate on the bottom also for extra support.

Hey Eck!

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, there isn't a tubeular frame. It's a solid plate. Gary has custom fabricated trailers for 20 years and everyone around here knows he overbuilds for saftey reasons. He was going to custom build it but we both knew it would be to heavy, so that's why we ended up buying the diamond plate box and he beefed it up. Total weight of the box is about 18 lbs and total weight loaded down is around 35-37 lbs. The hitch he built carries at least a 200 lb load. Don't know if I made any sense here, but if anyone wants, Gary said he would draw up a schematic and send it. Have a good one!

... Gary has custom fabricated trailers for 20 years and everyone around here knows he overbuilds for saftey reasons.

With all the trailer building being done by the members here, this is another great resource for the family.

:15_8_211[1]:

Didn't see your last line about how much he'd charge. I'll give him a jingle and see what he says and get back to you. I'm always giving him a hard time, because he undercharges, so I know he'll give you a fair price. Gotta take care of our neighbors!

Greetings...

Just add some rubber bumpers on the top - so when you open it you don't bash anything on the back end of the bike and it'll be complete! Or maybe some chromed door stoppers? Just in case you forgot the lid was open and tried to take off...

Don't think the pix show it, but we put a soft rubber strip on it, but I'm trying to come up with something that looks a little better. I was hoping he could design a rubber oval with a Venture logo of some kind. Anybody got any great ideas?

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Iowegian,

We saw a pic of your ride from yesterday, a couple hours after we contemplated putting a small box on the back for the camping gear. Your thread convinced us, so after a trip to the Man's Mall, we opted for black plastic(they didn't have the aluminum anyhow).

$33 for the box and $46 for the LED flush mount Stop/Tail/Turns. Now I just have to make some kind of mounting plate/reciever assembly to bolt on under the Hitch Doc.

We'll post more pics when done, but here's the box with lights installed...

Thanks for re-affirming that we are not totally nuts in avoiding the trailer,

Scooter Bob and Karen

No Bob,it's you,your nuts..:rasberry::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

That is a great idea...That's why I am building the receiver hitch so we can either pull the trailer or slide the plate with the trunk into the receiver...Depending how far we are going......

So,did you guys enjoy summer yesterday????????? C-ya...

Dan, not so much yesterday, but we did try to get lost for a while on Friday. :Venture:

If we got another camper trailer, it would be a leisure lite. That Aspen Classic the X got was way more than Karen and I need. Someday, maybe, we'll get one. For now, that box should keep things low and dry. :happy34:

And, she takes a wrong turn cutting across FF to the hardware section, and now we have a new 8' x 10' dome with 6' center so I can stand up too! We've had a few this afternoon, so I think we'll try it out in the living room in a little bit.:Im not listening to

Later, Scooter Bob and Karen

Hey Eck!

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, there isn't a tubeular frame. It's a solid plate.

I believe he was refering to the hitch it self. Is it the hitch that replaces the spreader bar for the saddle bags? If so, it's not meant to handle much weight...

Just saw your post. Looks like that will work perfect!!! We need to get brighter turn signals on ours but other than that, it works perfect. It really comes in handy for a lot of xtra room and not having to haul a trailer!! Nice job. I'll show the hubby your version of it!

We do not have a Fleet Farm in Florida.Could you post the dimensions of the box?I can get one of my friends,who is a welder and fabricator,to build me one.On the weight issue,

you could use (2) 1 inch aluminum flat bars and attach them to the sides at the back of

the box and attach the other end under the trunk with 2 P clamps and use screws with

wing nuts to make it attach or unattach quickly.You could also polish the support bars to

match the box.

We do not have a Fleet Farm in Florida.Could you post the dimensions of the box?I can get one of my friends,who is a welder and fabricator,to build me one.On the weight issue,

you could use (2) 1 inch aluminum flat bars and attach them to the sides at the back of

the box and attach the other end under the trunk with 2 P clamps and use screws with

wing nuts to make it attach or unattach quickly.You could also polish the support bars to

match the box.

Just called the hubby. He'll measure the diamond plate box tonight when he gets home from work and I'll let you know tomorrow as we don't have internet access at home.

match the box.

Hubby says it's 12" High, 12" Depth and 30"long.

If you look in the pix, you can see a steel plate on the bottom for support. Also, he has 2 holes drilled in the tounge. One hole is located inside the box and bolts inside the box to the hitch, and the other outside the box. It gives it a lot more stability. I think the cost was $149.00 at fleet farm for the box. Good luck!

Very nice! Would the weight of your carrier change the handling of your bike?

BTW, when I read the title I thought you got one of these! I know I want one....:hihi:

http://www.johnweeks.com/carriers/image/carriermoving.jpg

I was in a ship that ran into THAT cairer (it looks like the USS Roosevelt to me), and NO I WAS NOT DRIVING.

14 Oct 96: USS Roosevelt (CVN 71) & USS Leyte Gulf (CG 55): Collision. The guided-missile cruiser USS Leyte Gulf crashes into the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt during a training exercise off the North Carolina coast. The crash ripped open the the front of the Leyte Gulf and heavily damaged the rear of the Theodore Roosevelt, causing $12 million in damage. Four officers were issued punitive reprimands.

I hope you have better luck with your carrier.

How in the world do you run into a ship that big?

We were acting as "plane guard" meaning we were following REAL close behind the "bird farm" to pluck from the sea any pilot who "punches out" of his aircraft. This is a precaution to save the life of an airman, of course the plane would go to Davey Jones' Locker.

They completed flight ops, and commeced other training without releasing us from our position, so there we were right behind them.

They did a "crash back" which would be like a dump truck driving down the road at 60 MPH and the dump truck does not have any tail lights and it is about 3:00 am. The Dump Truck locks up the brakes, shifts into reverse and floors it!!!!!!!!!! You are in a car following at about 12 feet behind the truck. What do you do?????

We tried to avoid them, but did not make it.

The next half hour was kinda scary on board...