IGNORED

Cleaning the Carbtune

BuddyRich

Your Carbtune may need to be cleaned from time to time. The reason is there is small gap in the case that will let dirt and dust in. Looking at the first pic and you can see the gap.

How to clean it.

First lets understand that it is IMPORTANT that you work on a flat surface and that you keep each rod and spring in its current cylinder. DO NOT MIX THEM UP. Do only 1 at a time.

First you will need a small philips head screwdriver.

1. Remove the 2 screws on the bottom of the unit.

2. Carefully remove the cover

3. Carefully remove the foam filler.

4. Slide the cover down and off(says Carbtune on it).

5. Now remove one rod and spring at a time. Clean the rod with a lint free cloth and blow the cylinder out with air pressure.

Now put it all back together and the rods should be moving freely again.

Your Carbtune may need to be cleaned from time to time. The reason is there is small gap in the case that will let dirt and dust in. Looking at the first pic and you can see the gap.

How to clean it.

First lets understand that it is IMPORTANT that you work on a flat surface and that you keep each rod and spring in its current cylinder. DO NOT MIX THEM UP. Do only 1 at a time.

First you will need a small philips head screwdriver.

1. Remove the 2 screws on the bottom of the unit.

2. Carefully remove the cover

3. Carefully remove the foam filler.

4. Slide the cover down and off(says Carbtune on it).

5. Now remove one rod and spring at a time. Clean the rod with a lint free cloth and blow the cylinder out with air pressure.

Now put it all back together and the rods should be moving freely again.

I did Jack's bike up in Susanville, and my bike; when does the Carbtune start acting up where it needs a cleaning? I think you've done just about everybody's bike in Calif. from VWl thur VWlll, not that I'm counting or anything.:whistling:

BuddyRich,

What a great post and thanks for those excellent photos too!!

Freebird, I request another VR tech award for this man!! :thumbsup2:

I noticed that my carbtune is sticking and now I know how to fix it.

Question though....

Think it be a wise idea to take and apply a little RTV in the gap to avoid dust / dirt from getting in it while you have it apart or do you think this would cause it to not work properly??

Thanks B-R!!!!!!!!!!

Eck

Your Carbtune may need to be cleaned from time to time.

Guest scooter38

Nice post, but here might be a foolish question, where is the carb tuner located at and does my bike have one being it a 99? I have always stayed away from working with the carbs since my knowledge of them is minimal. Thanks Scott.