IGNORED

Plastic repair / higher gears

Have an '89 with two small cracks on the L faring just at the top by the stereo assembly. What is the best way to repair, they are about 1/2 inch long from the top around the trim edge and just under.??

Also, has anyone ever put higher gears in their Venture? I get 40 MPG average under 60 MPH on the back roads where I don't get on and off the throttle alot, but on the interstates, well that is a different story - my MPG is about 31 - 36 depending on the head winds. Have had Goldwings that got 48 on the back roads, and 45 on interstate.

This Venture runs about 1000 -1,200 tighter than a Wing, need to put in higher gears or a sixth one!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks for any help or guidance!

Caz

You could always put in a transmission gear set from a 2nd gen. Still 5 gears, but wider spaced ratios. A 2nd gen 4th gear is like a 1st gen 5th gear. The 2nd gen 5th gear is an extreme overdrive. Sounds like a pretty big job.

Don't know much about the plastic.

I have a aquired a 2nd Gen trans and a Vmax rear. These bikes were made when 55 was still the speed limit thank god thats gone so when your traveling at the highway speeds now your revs are up I think at highway speeds ours up to 4000 if I remeber right which I dont care for I'd like it lower if I'm just cruising at a steady speed. I am looking for a lower 1st gear and a higher 5th gear so I have lower rpms at cruise and with this combination I think I have it. I was going to put it in but dawdled around and did not get around to putting it in. I will do it this winter. :thumbsup:

I have a aquired a 2nd Gen trans and a Vmax rear. These bikes were made when 55 was still the speed limit thank god thats gone so when your traveling at the highway speeds now your revs are up I think at highway speeds ours up to 4000 if I remeber right which I dont care for I'd like it lower if I'm just cruising at a steady speed. I am looking for a lower 1st gear and a higher 5th gear so I have lower rpms at cruise and with this combination I think I have it. I was going to put it in but dawdled around and did not get around to putting it in. I will do it this winter. :thumbsup:

I have been wondering how that project is coming along. Is it correct that you are only replacing just 4th and 5th gear sets or all of them?

CAZCOM, I have found that Devcon Plastic Weld works real good and costs less than $3 at Wally world.

RandyA

I have been wondering how that project is coming along. Is it correct that you are only replacing just 4th and 5th gear sets or all of them?

CAZCOM, I have found that Devcon Plastic Weld works real good and costs less than $3 at Wally world.

RandyA

No to many home projects to much work at work. I'm just getting bike back together after my accident last October just started last week so I want to ride. It'.ll have to wait till winter. It will be the whole gearset swap. I havent forgot you I 'll count the teeth for you. If you want I'll count the @nd Gen teeth now for you Randa.

Have an '89 with two small cracks on the L faring just at the top by the stereo assembly. What is the best way to repair, they are about 1/2 inch long from the top around the trim edge and just under.??

Also, has anyone ever put higher gears in their Venture? I get 40 MPG average under 60 MPH on the back roads where I don't get on and off the throttle alot, but on the interstates, well that is a different story - my MPG is about 31 - 36 depending on the head winds. Have had Goldwings that got 48 on the back roads, and 45 on interstate.

This Venture runs about 1000 -1,200 tighter than a Wing, need to put in higher gears or a sixth one!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Caz

Newer wings are more torquey down lower then our bikes that have to rev to get power.

Caz

The first thing you want to do is stop drill the crack...drill a small hole at the very end of the crack, that will stop it from progressing..The fairing is made out of ABS..I use ABS cement that you can buy at any hardware store or Home depot/Lowes etc..I use a toothpick by dipping it in the glue and working it into the crack...

- my MPG is about 31 - 36 depending on the head winds. Have had Goldwings that got 48 on the back roads, and 45 on interstate.

Caz

31-36 mpg is too low in my opinion unless you're fighting a 40-50 mph headwind....Before you dig into the gears I'd do some tune up work like change the plugs, run Sea Foam through the fuel system a few times, sync the carbs, check the diaphrams, check the air filter etc..You should get around 43-44mpg in the twisties/sweepers and 40-42 on the interstate at about 70mph or less

Some real good info!

I will start the plastic repair later this month, to many honey do's till then. But will drill STOP holes now.

As for the mileage, new air filter, carb's at 98%, etc. Just use to good mileage on the Wing. Yes these wind up about 1,200 RPM more than the Wings do, so there goes the MPH. Will be happy with just a higer 5th gear on the interstates, can live with 38-40 in the twisties.

Thanks again for the feedback!!

Gary C