IGNORED

Intercom Pop

chrisboggsfmc

Greetings all. I'm having a reoccurring problem with my intercom and wondering if anyone else can give some insight. The intercom is picking up what sounds like ignition pop through the speakers, because it speeds up and slows down with the engin rpm. It comes and goes usually when you hit the right kind of bump in the road. I can also give the fairing a good tap on the left side and sometimes that will make it go away. Other times nothing makes it go away, very irritating!!!! It doesn't make any difference which audio is on (radio or cb) when it has a mind to do it. Sometimes the only way to get it to stop is to turn both audio and cb off. No sound at all then. It did this before mic mutes and has started again after mic mutes. I've had it into the dealer for it once, they couldn't find the problem, so they replaced the entire intercom system (they said), and it stopped for a long time, but its back now. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue, or has any thoughts on what to check. Thanks to all. Chris

Pretty sure dynamic Don and team have it all well documented somewhere in the tech pages...but real quickly, what you're describing is typically caused by the connections where the cables come together inside the fairing being a little loose. Pull them all apart, put a little dialectric grease in, and reseat them....I took a little extra time and used wire-ties to pull the connections together tightly. Never any problems after I finally figured it out on the 99, and then did on the 06 before we ever even rode it. Good luck.

This problem afflicts a few RSVs from time to time. My 05 started it once after I got it back from servicing. After I got it stopped, it came back once more for no particular reason. I was able to make it go away sometimes by turning the forks all the way to the lock (can't remember which way). Anyway, this is usually easy to make go away by pulling the tank and tugging/repositioning the cable bundles in there. I'd focus on removing the left steering column cover and moving those wires - pay particular attention to make sure the plug wires for the front cylinders are not near any other wires.

If that doesn't work, then split the fairing and re-seat all the plugs in there. I wish I could be more specific, but I never pinned it down that close since it tends to go away as soon as you start messing with the wires. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Is it a pop or a buzz? A pop would most likely come from a loose connection or a poor connection, a buzz will come from radio frequency picked up by a wire, in this case one of your audio wires. So to get rid of a pop, check the connectors and do as you have been told. To get rid of a buzz, move the wires to a new position and tape them there, if all is now good, it should stay good.