IGNORED

HELP! - New Engine Fins to install!

So I bought 4 new cylinder head fin covers. The pretty black ones with the silver tips along the fins, like all the Midnight RSV's have for my '99 RSV.

I have had them about two weeks, when I got them, I took off the old ones, made sure the new ones fit, and when I went to fasten them on, lo and behold, the holes in them were too big - HUMPH I said, looks like I forgot to order some additional parts. I need 12 of these wedge round things that go into these holes and somehow wedge themselves in there so when you bolt the fins on they stay attached to the cylinders.

So those things arrived the other day. So the help I need is:

How do I get this part - SKU: 4NK-15316-00-00 DAMPER, ENGINE MOUNT, into this part - SKU: 4XY-1111H-20-00 COVER, CYLINDER HEAD SIDE 4?

See attached - I need to get #45 into #44.

TIA!

I suggest you take the fins to a place that has a bearing press and let them do it for a couple bucks.....or...use the Heat and Ice suggestion which is a very good one...!!

If you use the heat & ice method, I would do it like this:

Apply grease to #44 (fin) holes

Apply grease to #45 (spacers)

Place #44 fins in the sun (or use the kitchen oven set at 200 degrees max) for about 30 minutes. This temperature should not effect the grease applied nor cause a fire.

Now while the fins are cooking...place the greased bushings in a plastic tub and set them in the freezer for about 30 minutes.

Mean while, prepare set up:

Place a rag on a short piece of 2 x 4 on work bench

Have Hammer ready

Have a Wooden dowel rod / plastic dowel rod or even a small piece of wood ready to "lightly" hammer on... (You can use another wooden handled hammer..tapping on the head of the hammer while the other end of the wooden hammer handle is on the bushing)

30 minutes later:

Take out only one #44 fin and quickly place it face down on the rag

( with back side of fin facing up).

Take out one bushing and quickly place / align it over one of the holes in the #44 fin.

Using the wooden or plastic dowel rod, piece of wood / whatever, hammer the #45 bushing into the hole in the #44 fin to where it is "flush" with the surounding surface.

The #45 bushings should go in rather easy ...

Clean off the grease and your in buisness.

I suggest you take the fins to a place that has a bearing press and let them do it for a couple bucks

Eck,

This sounds like a plan. If I can't find a place, I will give the fire and ice trick a try.

Thank you!

:thumbsup:

I think I would try the fire and ice first. It is a long established procedure for many things. When I was an electrician in a power plant, I installed hundreds of bearings to motor shafts that way. Freeze the shafts and heat the bearings with a heat gun or in an oven. They would slide ride on.

I guess that must a specialized Yamaha multipurpose tool ! But don't forget to use the magic words while using it . I believe they are "Why you lousy piece of ****!!, I'll show you":rotf::rotf::rotf:

:rotf::sign20::rotf::rotf: