Think I Blew the left speaker last Saturday, so this Saturday will be work-not-ride day.:confused24: Oh well. Remember someone replacing theirs with Pioneer from Wally's. I know what size, but wondered which model worked the best.

Thanks, DJ:mo money:

Think I Blew the left speaker last Saturday, so this Saturday will be work-not-ride day.:confused24: Oh well. Remember someone replacing theirs with Pioneer from Wally's. I know what size, but wondered which model worked the best.

DJ,

You might want to page down to the bottom of this page, and you will see many posts on speakers...size, types, makes models amps etc. :thumbsup2:

DJ,

You might want to page down to the bottom of this page, and you will see many posts on speakers...size, types, makes models amps etc. :thumbsup2:

Thanks Eck,

That's just what I was looking for.

DJ :clap2:

Well, had a few honey-doos to take care of Saturday. Went out and bought a set of real nice Pioneer 1042Rs. Had to fix Mom's lawnmower before I could get into the install, but wasn't anticipating that the speaker project would be too dificult.

Got the lawnmower done after a couple of hours, which left me well into the afternoon with company coming over for dinner and drinks. Went out and pulled the turn signals expecting to have access to the speaker mount bolts. Three were accessable with 1/4" extensions, but the top outer on either side were totally inaccessable. Can't even see it because of the cover on the back of the speaker. Did'nt have time to go any further.

Anybody changed out the speakers on a 1stGen MKII, and what's involved?

Thanks,

DJ

I did the 4 inch pioneer upgrade on mine 2 weeks ago, they will handle about 50 watts I think they sound pretty good (but after the stocks that were blown anything woulda sounded good) but there isnt much low end. I also replaced my OEM cassette/radio with a Kenwood unit at the same time so I cant really tell you how much better they would be on the original equipment.

But what can you expect for a 4 inch speaker. I have heard that the Bose speakers give a bit better low end response and really arent a lot more money mine were 50 bux, Ive heard the bose are 80-90 range.

The speakers come out fairly easily by removing all the screws for the top panels on both sides of your fairing. Have a look, heres a couple of pics from when I swapped out my OEM system. http://picasaweb.google.com/friesman1/Audioswap_08. I dont want to be the bearer of bad news, but the speaker blowing really wasnt my issue, the amp had crapped out on my left channel so the speaker really wasnt all of my problem, as I swapped out speakers first and it solved some, but not all of my problems with mysound, so I decided to change it all out.

PS i really do miss the speed sensitive sound and the up front controls on my new deck although there is a port on the back of the deck for steering wheel controls for some model cars, so I am gonna explore that option to hook up the 1st gen handle bar controls for volume.

Brian:mo money::mo money:

Edited by friesman

Greetings...

Anybody changed out the speakers on a 1stGen MKII, and what's involved?

Thanks,

DJ

It's not difficult. I'm a bit ham fisted and can't get my claws in through the turn signals either...

It only takes about 10 minutes to get all the plastic apart. It's pretty straight forward - just remove the screws and disconnect the wiring plugs. The speakers are mounted with 4 screws (on mine anyway) to the top section of the plastic next to the air vents.

You'll probably spend more time attaching the speakers to the old wiring harness unless they come with the same plug - than you would getting to them...

I accessed the difficult nut thru the signal holes using a socket u-joint and extensions. Getting the nut and washers back on was very difficult this way, probably easier to pull the dash panel as these folks say.

Jeremy

Hey, I replaced my stock speakers on my 84 with JBL speakers assured by the salesman that they were perfect for my bike. the lying swine lol.

They were blown with in the first month of riding., I think I am gonna try to get some money back and try the pioneers , I love my tunes when I ride.

I also replaced my original stereo with a JVC , the CD only plays well when I am on a smooth road, but the radio is great.

Gord:guitarist 2:

I did the speaker upgrade last season went to a pair of Rockford Fosgate 4" after that I found that the stock Headunit just wouldn't give me the sound quality I demand from my stereo systems. Dropped in a Power Acoustik in dash DVD player. planning on doing a backrest with a flush mount LCD screen for the passenger to enjoy. I do have to say that with the virtical mounting position of the headunit a Cheap DVD headunit will out preform the high end CD players just becuase the DVD players have a bit of buffering to them as well as more controle of the disk while its in the Headunit.

Got the Pioneer 1042Rs in Friday. Man, what a difference!! Whole new system. Won't go into what I did to get to them, but will tell ya I spent about 2hrs taking things off and putting them back on that I didn't need to. Suffice it to say that all you have to do is remove both upper consoles to get to the speakers. :doh:

DJ