I need some help. I opened the truck on my 2005 RSV and removed my helmet after work today, no issue. When I got home (10 mile drive) and attempted to open the top to replace the helmet it seems that something has gotten in a bind. The lid will only open far enough to place a half helmet in it. Any suggestions as to what may be catching and not allowing the top to fully open? Thanks

Had the same problem

First thing DO NOT FORCE IT OPEN OR CLOSED!!!!!:no-no-no:

You either have something loose from the trunk or some of the screws have backed out (That's what happened to me) of your 'lift/hold open' part of the hinge.

To fix it take everything you can out of the trunk so you have some room to work.

remove the allen head screw (not worry if you drop it where's it gonna go?):rotfl:

Remove black plastic cover and any loose parts you should now be able to see.

***DON'T FORCE ANYTHING***:no-no-no:

Remove any screws attaching the hold open to the trunk.

trunk should now open!!!

collect the parts and piece them back together

LOCK TITE ALL THE SCREWS AS YOU REPLACE THEM

put every thing back together and install back in the trunk

this should solve your problem

Animal (Honey told me about your prob I fixed ours you can fix your's):080402gudl_prv:

Had the same problem

First thing DO NOT FORCE IT OPEN OR CLOSED!!!!!:no-no-no:

You either have something loose from the trunk or some of the screws have backed out (That's what happened to me) of your 'lift/hold open' part of the hinge.

To fix it take everything you can out of the trunk so you have some room to work.

remove the allen head screw (not worry if you drop it where's it gonna go?):rotfl:

Remove black plastic cover and any loose parts you should now be able to see.

***DON'T FORCE ANYTHING***:no-no-no:

Remove any screws attaching the hold open to the trunk.

trunk should now open!!!

collect the parts and piece them back together

LOCK TITE ALL THE SCREWS AS YOU REPLACE THEM

put every thing back together and install back in the trunk

this should solve your problem

Animal (Honey told me about your prob I fixed ours you can fix your's):080402gudl_prv:

+1 on this...

Same thing happened to me, got the holding arm back into place and all was well, right up until someone slammed the lid shut from the extreme open position. Hit the "holder upper," bent the bracket then bounced open then shut with a slam. I've straigtened the bracket as good as possible without removing it, I guess that will be my next project...:headache:

One of the little flat head screws has fallen out of the catch mechanism on the left side. Try to continually wiggle it open/closed; maybe thump on the front left corner of the trunk to try to vibrate it loose into a different position. Worse case, since you can get it part way open, reach in and remove the screws holding the upper plate to the top and then open the trunk so you can work on it. You may need to remove the nuts holding on the passenger rest - I don't remember for sure. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose