IGNORED

Nolan Bluetooth helmet

I just bought (and paid way too much for) a Nolan N-42 helmet and installed the basic and bluetooth kit in it. I can't say enough about how well this works.

I thought it would be impossible to have my phone connected to my helmet and still be able to use the CB. The CB/intercom is still connected by a wire (had to buy the multimedia wire for the Gold Wing) but it works flawlessly.

I can dial the phone with the voice dialing, answer a call, hang it up, and still have the CB hooked up and working.

I really didn't think it would be possible to have all this going at once. I don't want a cell phone along on a holiday trip but it's nice when I am commuting...

Playing the music through the helmet is pretty tinny but voice from the phone and CB is very clear. Everyone says they can't believe I am on my motorcycle.

Can't wait for the BT module to come in for my Yaesu ham radio and see if that works!!

I got a pair as a reward for some extra effort I put in on a big account at work during the winter. My ride to Americade then to Maint day was my first try. While I really like the helmet, I have to say I'm not thrilled with the electronics.

No one at the vendor I bought it from or at Nolan seemed to know what was needed to do what I wanted. I specifically wanted to use the on-bike intercom and CB and didn't want bluetooth or the need to recharge a battery regularly (plugging in my helemt every night just don't sit right with me). Anyway they assured me it was no problem and sent me hundreds of cables and attachments. I had to disassemble the helmets, install everything then re-assemble them. On my way to Americade the mic wouldn't work. Found the Nolan rep there. You'll never guess what he told me...

YUP Another $250 later I now have a battery in my damned helmet which is the only *$&%# way I can use the intercom or the CB with the stupid thing. :shock3: To make matters worse the battery only lasts 8 hours max (which probably means 6 now and 4 or less after 6 months of use). Not long enough for the day-long tours that are typical for us. :doh:

To top all of that the stupid thing shuts itself on and off all the time. It's not the install because the Nolan rep re-checked everything and installed the extra (battery) piece when I was there. :think:

I'm glad you are happy with yours, but for me its terrible. The helmet is fine but turn and run from those electronics. The speakers are pretty tinny to my ears too. I'd be completely postal at this point if it had been all out of my own pocket! I'd add a better quality, easier to install and more affordable headset system in the helmet if I had it to do over again.

Edited by WilCruise
added title / spelling

ouch, we'll have to see how the battery lasts, I have been using on my commute for the last 2 weeks without charging it yet but we are headed to Montana next week so that'll be the test.

I have had mine turn off a couple of times too but I found that the foam padding underneath the bluetooth thingy was pushing the device out - I think it is better seated now and hasn't turned off for a few days.

It's gadgety so I have had to play with it a bit sometimes... But I am a techie anyways so I don't mind too much!!

I find the helmet can be pretty hot too - I am used to a shortie helmet....

Glad you like it. It's pretty weird talking on the phone while riding down the road. I'm just glad I'm not a hand talker. :rotf: That would be interesting to see.

I thought about the Nolan helmet, but my gourd is just too darn big to fit comfortably.

Probably be cheaper in the long run to buy a Zumo 550 and BuddyRich's cable. Then you get the benefits of a really good GPS with a MP3 player and optional XM Radio, and it all sounds great.