IGNORED

50 mpg (US)

Guest Ken8143

Guest Ken8143

I don't understand this at all, but in several trips on my 87 VR I have gotten 50+ mpg several times, and just not one tank but several successive ones. Generally I run at 40 mpg.

Couple of theories?

1. Maybe fuel without ethanol makes a difference.

2. Seems to do better when the weather is HOT.

3. Clearly riding at 45 - 50 mpg, nice and sedately makes a difference, but that much?

4. Head/tail wind?

I know this will drive Greg in London nuts, but it is the facts.

:detective:

Sounds like something terribly wrong. Better get it in and have the motor torn down for inspection ASAP!

Actually my second generation just did that. Normally I get low 40's, 44 had been my best. I took a trip with the wife last weekend. Did about 75 miles at 25 to 45 MPH depending on the roughness (lots of pot holes and generally trashed surface). Another 75 miles in a 55 to 75MPH speed limits. Got 51MPG on that tank. It was getting hot and running easy. Also, no Ethanol here this time of year here.

Jerry

On the trip out to Dons, all turnpike cruise set at 70 so probably an actual 63 mph, riding 2 up and loaded got 50 mpg on the first tank, eastern Pa, pretty flat, got 44-46 rest of the trip. Cant complain about that:cool10: Craig

I don't understand this at all, but in several trips on my 87 VR I have gotten 50+ mpg several times, and just not one tank but several successive ones. Generally I run at 40 mpg.

Couple of theories?

1. Maybe fuel without ethanol makes a difference.

2. Seems to do better when the weather is HOT.

3. Clearly riding at 45 - 50 mpg, nice and sedately makes a difference, but that much?

4. Head/tail wind?

I know this will drive Greg in London nuts, but it is the facts.

Did you mean MPH instead of mpg? Warm weather better mpg yes, No ethanol better mpg yes,Slower riding speed better mpg yes, Tailwind Yes better mpg.

My 90 speedo off by as much 6-10 mph depending on how fast, faster the worse its off. So I thought I was doing 65 mph in reality I was doing like 57mph getting like maybe 39-40 mpg that rate so I could see a guy thats speedo off who runs only 55 mph on speedo (in reality only going 48 mph) getting maybe high 40's. I dont see running 65-70+ mph (real speed) getting 50 mpg on these bikes. Not trying to offend anyone I.M.H.O. Now 2nd Gen's do have the second overdrive 5th gear but will that put you almost 10 mpg more then a 1 st Gen which is better aerodynamically, I doubt it.

Edited by CrazyHorse