IGNORED

2006 RSTD fuel leak

Hey all picked up a RSTD 2006 recently.  Great ride.  But unfortunately noticed a fuel leak while it is parked at work.   There is a what looks like a breather tube just in behind the kick stand.  From there an intermittent dribble of fuel trickles out.  The petcock is switched to off.  I notice it seems worse in the heat perhaps as the gas expands.   Has any one else had this issue?  Cheers 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, RDawson said:

Check your oil before starting. If oil level is rising or smells like gas do not start. Sounds like a carb float is sticking, if so it’ll hydrolock the cylinders which is the best way to break a connecting rod. 

Thanks Dawson... I have been riding it like this for a while mainly unaware.  It seems to ride fine.  But I have stopped now as I have a spare bike to use and I couldn't endure the petrol leak any longer.   I will check to oil over the weekend.  If for example petrol has leaked into the oil.   How would you even go about fixing that?  Assuming it has not done any damage to the engine itself?  Cheers 

35 minutes ago, Yamahacrazy said:

Thanks 

Thanks Dawson... I have been riding it like this for a while mainly unaware.  It seems to ride fine.  But I have stopped now as I have a spare bike to use and I couldn't endure the petrol leak any longer.   I will check to oil over the weekend.  If for example petrol has leaked into the oil.   How would you even go about fixing that?  Assuming it has not done any damage to the engine itself?  Cheers 

Carb cleaning/rebuild with new float needles and seats, change the oil. @eusa1offers a carb swap rebuild program also. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Yamahacrazy said:

Ok so Im in Australia if I cant use ebay or amazon where would I buy this stuff?  Thanks 

on a side issue when I bought this bike the seller told me that it had had a major service in July this year.   I have the receipts to prove it.  They did work on the crabs then including rejeting them.   How then from July to November can it need such major work?   Im regretting this purchase already.  Beginning to think these carburetors are a major problem?  Cheers 

Gasoline with ethanol gums up and clogs the small passages in carburetors very quickly when sitting. 

Does the bike have aftermarket exhaust and/or high flow air filters? I can see no other reason to re jet these carbs. The OEM jets provide plenty of power and decent fuel economy. I would question the quality of work done on the carbs. Just in general, most shops do lackadaisical work when "rebuilding" carburetors.

• Like 1