IGNORED

I'm stuck

Hi been working on this bike on and off for over a year now, one step forward two steps back. Got a petcock rebuild kit while starting to put it back together. The screws are so tight I can't get them decided to take off the tank cause the bikes tore down still but I can't seem to get it off either. Am I missing something or  I just getting to old to do this anymore frustrated beyond belief would appreciate any help. Thanks on advance 1986  vanture royale

Hey Daniel,

I'm just going to go down the list, and if I mention something you already knew about, I apologize in advance for that! Here goes!

The angle of the slots on a METRIC Phillips Screw is different than on an American Phillips Screw. So if you're trying to get a metric screw out with that crusty old Craftsman Screwdriver, then that's not gonna' work! 

I'm a BIG Fan of using "Nut Buster" or "Liquid Wrench" on any fasteners I am trying to remove from my bikes.

Lastly, I have attached a pic of a "Must Have" Tool when working on ANY bike, and that is a Impact Driver. The one in the pic is a bit "Fancy" but Harbor Freight sells one for less than $20. that does the job just fine. It's better to start out using the Impact Driver than to destroy the screw head and try to remove it after the fact.

I hope this helps,

Earl.

IMPACT DRIVER.jpg

• Like 1