I have been reading in my manual that I have 20L of fuel capacity, with 4L for reserve. This gives access to 16L of usable fuel in the normal position. I am wondering if I put my switch in the reserve position, will I have access to the full 20L. I ask this because I have a Nighthawk with a reserve fuel switch, with the bottom part of the tank partitioned into two sections. The "on" position accesses one bottom section, and the "reserve" position accesses the other bottom section. This means that I have to use the switch in both positions to get the full tank capacity.

As well, if I put the switch in the reserve position, am I correct to assume that the fuel gauge will still only provide indication of what's left of the 16L of fuel?

Finally, I know my reserve gauge is very stiff... I haven't moved it because I thought I would break it... but I think I've read in another thread that the gauge is normally stiff, and usually takes pliers to move... is this correct?

Thanks for any input anyone can give!

Fuel is removed from the bottom of the tank by a tube sticking up. It is about 3" long. By switching to reserve, you are using a different tube...one that is only about 1 1/2" long and thus able to access fuel to a lower level. There is no partition in the tank. The reserve switch is hard to move on most of the first generation years, and not accomplished while riding the bike. Most riders use a pliers, or just leave it in the reserve position.

The fuel gauge is a mechanical system (arm) that measures the height of fuel in the tank, and it is not affected by which tube drains the fuel. Therefor it measures only 16L or so.

On my 89 Venture, the last fuel bar goes out around 200 km or so. Depends on wind etc. I get around 38 mpg (Canadian of course). I can get another 40 kms or so before it starts to sputter. I then can switch to reserve and there is approx 3.5 L left...however, I am not sure you can get all of that fuel out. I would say only 2.5-3 L are available.

You can easily see this for yourself by running bike till gas bars go out. Then remove seat and take 4 screws out where the sensing unit goes into top of tank. With flashlight you can see the fuel tubes, and see if there is crud in tank. I syphoned the remaining fuel into a measuring device, sucking up as much crud as possible from bottom of tank. Filter gas before pouring gas back into tank. Might as well service the sensing unit as well...see other posts about it (search for fuel i think).

Hope this helps.

I just leave mine in the reserve position all the time and not even mess with it. I just use the fuel gauge and trip mileage to see how far I have gone and if I need to top out the tank. Have never had a problem doing it that way.

Rick F.