IGNORED

Oil Leak / Stator Replacement

Barnacle442

I have an 08 RSV. I replaced my stator two winters ago. While I had the whole left side of the bike off I thought I would take care of a pesky oil leak, so I replaced the shift shaft seal. That did not fix my leak; It actually made it worse. Last winter I replaced the shift shaft seal with a new one that was recommended by someone on this list. Still leaking. I know that the original shift shaft seal was leaking. I know that the OEM replacement seal was also leaking. I know that the new seal is not leaking. I suspect I exchanged the original oil leak for a new oil leak. 

When I was putting the new stator in, the rubber bung that wraps the wires and sits in the back of the engine cover did not feel like it was the tightest fit. I am not 100% certain but I am suspicious of it. It's hard to put eyeballs on and thus I have not actually observed this leak. It is next on the list.

Do any of you have experience with this? If that rubber seal is the culprit, is there any remedy for it?

Thanks

Ben

That seal on the stator wires is probably the culprit. The only way I know of to fix it is to pull that cover, romove the wires/seal from the case, clean the area and seal/wires thoroughly with alcohol and seal it back in place with RTV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luvmy40 said:

That seal on the stator wires is probably the culprit. The only way I know of to fix it is to pull that cover, romove the wires/seal from the case, clean the area and seal/wires thoroughly with alcohol and seal it back in place with RTV.

Maybe a correcton?: Clean with alcohol and seal with sillycone.?

• Like 1