IGNORED

Got this new to me bike. LOTS OF POSSIBILITIES!

So, I got this bike, it's a 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200. the guy I bought it off of told me that it ran when he parked it, but the field it was in flooded and it was under water for about a week and a half. It sat for about another 7 months before I got it for $200. the engine and the starter were seized from rust. I did manage to get the engine unstuck, and I traded the old starter out for a new one. now the bike turns over but won't start. any tips would be awesome!

im really excited about this bike. i want to bobber it out and make it cafe racer style with the round headlight and solo gauges.

also, this is my first bike and all of my firsts have been projects (bicycle, car, girlfriend lol)

i will try to post pics, however i do that 

• Like 2

Tear it all apart, clean, clean and clean some more. I talking the mechanics not the cosmetics. By the time you are done you'll know the bike inside out and have spent over 2k. Just so you know. It's an awesome bike and for some worth the investment, but it's best to be prepared.

Start with spark and fuel. Make sure you have both.

Start with checking for spark. Squirt a bit of oil in each cylinder and stick the old plugs back in and crank her over a few times to swish the oil around, (take care you do not overheat the starter several short cranks is better than one long one ). After the starter has been given a rest pull the plugs and do a compression test. If compression is good and If you have spark put some new plugs in, trickle a very tiny bit of gas in carbs and crank to see if it will fire. If it does but won't run on the carbs (assuming here that you drained all fuel and replaced with fresh fuel), you can try doing  the shot gun treatment, see attachment. If that does not work remove and Overhaul the carbs.

shooting the shot gun.pdf

Edited by saddlebum