IGNORED

Exhaust Tips

philmartin

Yes...I bought a set of RSTD mufflers off Ebay. If you watch..you can pick up the mufflers with tips cheaper than you can buy the tips from Yamaha. I think I paid about $40.00 for a new set that were just taken off.

As for your question though, yes...it has been done. Rick Butler put the tips on his stock mufflers. I'll send Rick a PM and ask how he did it and get him to post here.

Phil,

Yeah I have done it. In fact I tried to get a set before the dealers even had a part number. I quickly saw that the Tour Deluxe was using a RSV muffler with a billet tip bolted into it. But the TD muffler had nuts welded into the tip for the mounting bolts.

Anyway after I received the tips, I sat the bike level so I could position the tips in the muffler and mark the holes I would use. The tips have 4 mounting holes so they can be rotated at different angles. But the mounting holes in the muffler are straight up at 12 and 6 oclock. I can't remember what size the stainless allen mounting bolts were, but say they were 6mm X 1.00 pitch, which requires a 13/64" hole to use the tap.

After the holes were properly marked, I drilled a hole 1/2 the size of the tap. Then I took a large nail set (which is tapered) and started driving it into the hole, until I was able to snuggly slip the drill bit into the hole. The nail set created a flanged hole into the muffler which gave me more metal on the sides to tap. Now I just taped the hole and mounted the tips. Now there is one side that is more difficult to get the allen bolt into, but it will work pretty well with the short end of an allen wrench.

Hope this helps,

Rick