IGNORED

Sticky button on radio

Got a factory radio to put on the rig, checked it last nite with power, button #2 for preset is sunk down in, keeps unit from operating, power comes on, have some functionality, but no channel changing. Any tricks or ideas? If not, I'll have to go back to aftermarket setup for this weekend.

Dan

Mine was like that too. I took the radio apart (easy to do with small philips screw driver) then sprayed liberally with contact cleaner to get things moving again. That solved the problem for me. I have not found a source for those micro switches so if that is gone will be more difficult to fix. I have a spare radio controler if you need it.

Wayne

Got a factory radio to put on the rig, checked it last nite with power, button #2 for preset is sunk down in, keeps unit from operating, power comes on, have some functionality, but no channel changing. Any tricks or ideas? If not, I'll have to go back to aftermarket setup for this weekend.

Dan

Dan, The cover of the radio comes off with 4 side screws. Fairly easy, but.... I don't think you'll need to remove it. The buttons are held in with a compression barb at the end of the button shaft and a spring fits around the shaft. The button is incased in a cavity to keep water out. Try spraying with an electrical cleaner directly thru the spaces around the side of the button. It should free up. If not the spring has probably broken and you'll need to get in there. Attached are a couple of pics to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

These are fairly standard 1/4" micro switches... almost any TV /radio repair shop should have these. I picked up a handfull a while back... my radio only had 5 bad switches... Just watch the "button" height on replacements, I had to shave a hair off the top to make them all the same height.

Oh boy, I can see it now..

spray cleaner all over the inside of the clear front plastic window which eats it up to where you can not see thru it..could have been the type of cleaner I used ,but it sure ruined mine..

(ask me how I know...) :whistling:

These are fairly standard 1/4" micro switches... almost any TV /radio repair shop should have these. I picked up a handfull a while back... my radio only had 5 bad switches... Just watch the "button" height on replacements, I had to shave a hair off the top to make them all the same height.

Would Radio Shack carry them?? Not a whole lot of TV repair shops left in this area.. We just toss 'm rather than fix 'm. :)

Radio shack USED to carry them but I believe they have stopped.

!/4" x 1/4", 2 pole, momentary push button... McMaster-Carr, Digi-key are always good sources...

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T082/1932-1937.pdf

I believe either figure 6,7,8 or 9 is right (at the top of the page), you'll have to check sizes (convert?) the dominant info is probably the

through hole spacing... you really want that to match. You might also check figure 1 at the bottom... but I think the top style is what you want.

They are two part switches (four pins, through hole mount... normally open, momentary (closed when pushed) and yet only one section is used... No, don't turn it around and hope... replace it.

Stock radios have a rubber membrane between the actual switches and the front panel buttons. Mine did... and they STILL had green crusties on the switches...

Edited by mbrood

Oh boy, I can see it now..

spray cleaner all over the inside of the clear front plastic window which eats it up to where you can not see thru it..could have been the type of cleaner I used ,but it sure ruined mine..

(ask me how I know...) :whistling:

Or use some underarm deodorant

:rotf::rotf:

Well, it's been slow at work so I took it in with me today........

Disassembled the entire unit, the sunk button actually had the shaft broken, so I superglued it with a couple of drops to stabilize it so it wont drop back in there again, no spring, either!

Found some corrosion along the bottom edge of the radio controller board, along the bottom row of switches, sprayed it and cleaned it off, Cleaned everything else and made sure everything was free and clear. Just got back home, gettin' ready to plug it back in and see what happens.......

Stayed tuned on this frequency for further updates. Oh, BTW, last thing to do b4 finishing it up!!!!

Ahhhhhh, I love it when a little contact cleaner goes a long way. Radio works FINE,not worried about the tape deck. Couldn't find connectors for the speaker pigtails, so just cut them off and put round insulated connectors on there and then spades at the speakers. 'Course it's gonna rain in a half hour, and I'LL BE DONE WITH THE FREAKIN" BIKE AND STILL CAN"T GO OUT AND RIDE!!!!!!!!!!

Story of my life, I guess...

Thanks for all the tips guys, now if anyone knows where you can get a replacement button and spring,,,,,,,,, it's for preset #2, no big deal..

Oh, can you help me locate the new left fairing mount plate I bought for this thing last Sep't??????? If you find it, my factory CB and cables are in there, too!!!!!!

Edited by Dano
sp