IGNORED

Full Choke question

Hello to all, been a while since I've been on here. My venture started bad this year, the floats were stuck, so i took the carbs off to clean. Did a tune up and synced carbs.But just an oddity, when I set the choke to full, the bike doesn't seem to bring the rpm's up as fast as it use to, it does run a little rough when cruising. I may try to sync the carbs again, but any suggestions?

Thanks guys!!!

When my 1st gen was running rough I dumped a full can in a tank ful of gas like a lot of guys stated in here, it seemed like a lot to me at the time, but I thought the worst thing that could happen is I have to do work on the carbs.

It did wonders, I took it out for a good run for about 200k and it ran like a different bike, also about a week ago I filled at a discount station and bike bike felt like it had a miss almosy immediately after filling, so this time I poured in about half a can and the issue started to clear up. i filled next the bike was like new again.

Brian:cool10::cool10:

I already used half a can, I can try some more, but I've ridden the bike for about 700-800 miles already. I can't imagine the carbs being gummed up still.

Guest barryt

I had this problem last year on my '03. Lube the choke control rods. Move the choke knob in/out and watch where the rods move. They seem to stick and will not allow full choke. Hope this helps.

Barry

• 2 months later...

Well, I'm still having issues. Here is a list of problems

1) choke still doesn;t seem to fully set.

2) carbs won't stay synched for more than 500-800 miles.

3) can't get it to idle under 1200 rpm.

right after I sync the carbs it runs smooth as silk, but as soon as I drive it for a while it goes out. Now I did have the carbs off once to clean the needles to get them unstuck. Maybe theres something I'm missing. Could a hose or a wire thats in the way cause these problems? Thank you very much for any help.

Guest tx2sturgis

right after I sync the carbs it runs smooth as silk, but as soon as I drive it for a while it goes out. ...... Could a hose or a wire thats in the way cause these problems? Thank you very much for any help.

When it 'goes out', try loosening the gas cap..( yes, i know...keep another key handy) ....maybe the tank is not venting properly...also, check the fuel pump...might be reacting badly to this new ethanol fuel...I've heard of some of them needing replacement.

I've ridden the bike about 3,000 miles this year already. Seafoam is not going to help.

Did you reset the idle mixture screws after you had the carbs off the bike. And try loosening the fuel cable adjustments at the grip a bit to see it they might be a little tight not allowing the throttle to close entirely... This may cause your sync to be short lived. ???