IGNORED

Fuel economy after new pipes,k&n filter?

:confused24:Thought I would be getting better gas mileage after Roadhouse pipes and K&N filters(36 mpg). I plugged AIS correctley and bike seems to be running fine. (38 mpg) before pipes and filters and AIS plugging, only 960 miles on bike ???:confused24: Maybe need to rejet later ????:confused24:

Got upwards of the 40 mpg today:cool10: My bike runs wonderful. Syncing the carbs did the trick. Will check mpg several times to get exact reading later.Thanks everyone for your help.:)

Edited by FuzzyRSTD
update

BEFORE YOU SYNC CARBS RUN A CAN OF SEEFOAM. I HAVE A FRIEND WITH A 07 RSTD HE HADE A STUCK DIAFRAM IN ONE CARB. MAKE SURE TO SYNC AFTER IF IT IS STUCK THE SEEFOAM WILL FIX YOUR MPG AND THE SYNC WILL MAKE IT BETTER. I GET 45 TO 50 MPG ON A 06 RSV AND I LIKE TO HERE MY PIPES.:080402gudl_prv:

Did you sync the carbs?

No did not sync Tom.Bike has 960 miles on it. I asked the mechanic at dealer and he said if running fine did not need sync. He did say that most time with after market pipes you should rejet carbs. It does run fine so far, I mean really good, idles sweet.

BEFORE YOU SYNC CARBS RUN A CAN OF SEEFOAM. I HAVE A FRIEND WITH A 07 RSTD HE HADE A STUCK DIAFRAM IN ONE CARB. MAKE SURE TO SYNC AFTER IF IT IS STUCK THE SEEFOAM WILL FIX YOUR MPG AND THE SYNC WILL MAKE IT BETTER. I GET 45 TO 50 MPG ON A 06 RSV AND I LIKE TO HERE MY PIPES.:080402gudl_prv:

yamahamer, would the diaphram stuck cause gas to come out of exhaust. I saw a little dampness at the left end muffler. Looked like it might be gas coming out pipe, decided probably was not , but am keeping eye on it. I sent seat to Rick Butler to have modifyed, so can't ride till get it back.

No offense to the mechanic but I have found no Yamaha mechanic that really knows the V4 that well..If you change the pipes there really is no need to rejet,but sync is a MUST. I would bet that someone close to you that is a member would be happy to meet up with you and get them synced. I bet it resolves the problem. Tom

It couldn't be possible that with the new pipes that you're riding the bike a little harder to hear the pipes sing, could it?

BTW, I'm lucky if I get over 30mpg.

Ya, I do like to hear them pipes bellerrrrrrr through the hills and hollers.

No offense to the mechanic but I have found no Yamaha mechanic that really knows the V4 that well..If you change the pipes there really is no need to rejet,but sync is a MUST. I would bet that someone close to you that is a member would be happy to meet up with you and get them synced. I bet it resolves the problem. Tom

Thanks Tom, will look in to that better. I know a feller out on industrial parkway that might be able to help me out. But he probably has the old type sync tools.

Thanks Tom, will look in to that better. I know a feller out on industrial parkway that might be able to help me out. But he probably has the old type sync tools.

For future reference just about any time you make a mod on the bike engine wise you will probably need to resync the carbs. Its really easy to do if you get the Morgan Carbtune and follow the directions from this site..Even when I changed the plugs I resynced the carbs. Be Safe,Tom..Ever need any help if you get a morgan carbtune my number is in the members list and I will talk you thru it,after you have done it it only takes abot 10 minutes!

Guest JGorom
I saw a little dampness at the left end muffler.

That's just condensation (water) coming out of the pipes...typical for motorcycles and cars.

yamahamer, Would The Diaphram Stuck Cause Gas To Come Out Of Exhaust. I Saw A Little Dampness At The Left End Muffler. Looked Like It Might Be Gas Coming Out Pipe, Decided Probably Was Not , But Am Keeping Eye On It. I Sent Seat To Rick Butler To Have Modifyed, So Can't Ride Till Get It Back.

You Should Be Able To Smell The Gas Plus One Side Will Feel Colder If You Put Your Hand In Front Of Exhaust.

For future reference just about any time you make a mod on the bike engine wise you will probably need to resync the carbs. Its really easy to do if you get the Morgan Carbtune and follow the directions from this site..Even when I changed the plugs I resynced the carbs. Be Safe,Tom..Ever need any help if you get a morgan carbtune my number is in the members list and I will talk you thru it,after you have done it it only takes abot 10 minutes!

Thanks Tom for the information, really appreciate that. I talked with a couple mechanics today and found a really good mechanic and fine person to go with it (Boone). He is in Jackson Ky. and he said he would sync carbs for $20.00. I will be in contact again with him next week to arrange time and place. He said same as you, that sync would probably help and no need to jet. Boone said that he had the digitil sync tool. I will be checking into the Carb sync tool. Thanks again.:cool10:

Edited by FuzzyRSTD
Forgot to add digital sync tool.

That's just condensation (water) coming out of the pipes...typical for motorcycles and cars.

Thanks JGorom,

I thought that it might be condensation, but it stained the inside pipes and so I thought possibly gas but your right I am sure.

:confused24:Thought I would be getting better gas mileage after Roadhouse pipes and K&N filters(36 mpg). I plugged AIS correctley and bike seems to be running fine. (38 mpg) before pipes and filters and AIS plugging, only 960 miles on bike ???:confused24: Maybe need to rejet later ????:confused24:

Well, a lot of it depends on how you ride, as well as other things like the temperature of the fuel when you fill up. But frankly, that sounds about right for an RSV to me. I can get over 40 on either of mine if I am having fun in the mountains with a lot of speeds below 50 MPH, but normal riding keeps me between 36 and 38 MPG. And that is the same on my 05 AND my 07. And when my brother and I tour together (he has an 07 RSV), we tend to get exactly the same mileage - up at slower speeds and down when cooking along around 80. Steep grades and acceleration don't seem to hurt the gas mileage too much on these bikes, but the wind resistance at speed is a killer. And don't forget that with only a 6 gallon tank, it doesn't take much variation in how full you get it to change the gas mileage on the tank. With less than 1,000 miles on the bike, you haven't really had enough time to give it a fair measurement! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Oops, my bad - I just noticed you have an RSTD, so you don't even have a 6 gallon tank! I'd bet your actual mileage hasn't really changed at all. Just my thoughts. Ride Safe!

Edited by V7Goose
correction

Well, a lot of it depends on how you ride, as well as other things like the temperature of the fuel when you fill up. But frankly, that sounds about right for an RSV to me. I can get over 40 on either of mine if I am having fun in the mountains with a lot of speeds below 50 MPH, but normal riding keeps me between 36 and 38 MPG. And that is the same on my 05 AND my 07. And when my brother and I tour together (he has an 07 RSV), we tend to get exactly the same mileage - up at slower speeds and down when cooking along around 80. Steep grades and acceleration don't seem to hurt the gas mileage too much on these bikes, but the wind resistance at speed is a killer. And don't forget that with only a 6 gallon tank, it doesn't take much variation in how full you get it to change the gas mileage on the tank. With less than 1,000 miles on the bike, you haven't really had enough time to give it a fair measurement! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Oops, my bad - I just noticed you have an RSTD, so you don't even have a 6 gallon tank! I'd bet your actual mileage hasn't really changed at all. Just my thoughts. Ride Safe!

Thanks Goose,

I thought the same thing, that at 960 miles you can not give it a fair measurement. But probably still would not hurt to sync carbs after the pipe & K-N filter installation. Thanks to everyone for your help. I really injoy this forum, so much that my wife says that if I don't get off this computer ............. Well got go.

• 2 weeks later...

I had carbs synced ($20.00) and they where way out, I saw myself. Fixed my problem I am sure. Not enough miles to check mpg yet, but bike is no longer surging at 60 mph.No jetting needed on these bikes...... Thanks to everyone for your help. I really enjoy this forum.

James