IGNORED

Clutch fluid disappearing

On a recent road trip, I noticed that some issues were developing with my clutch. After pulling over, I discovered the reservoir was almost empty. Topped it up and made the rest of my trip with intention to investigate when i got home.

After reading around on here, it sounds like I've got a bad slave. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any documentation on exactly where this is, how to test it, how to replace it or even where to find a rebuilt or new one without going to a stealership. Any and all help would be appreciated. 

Thanks! 

-Russ 

Left side of engine between the two engine covers. You'll need to remove the rearmost cover. It's covered by a square piece of rubber. Best get a new one for the cost of it. 2x6m allen bolts holding it in place. Careful not to strip out the bolt head, make sure your tool is well seated before attempting to turn.

12 hours ago, Marcarl said:

Left side of engine between the two engine covers. You'll need to remove the rearmost cover. It's covered by a square piece of rubber. Best get a new one for the cost of it. 2x6m allen bolts holding it in place. Careful not to strip out the bolt head, make sure your tool is well seated before attempting to turn.

Thanks Marcarl! I believe I found it on the bike, will be digging into it this weekend, but I'm not finding it on Partszilla. Does it have a different name or is it in a different parts diagram other than the clutch diagram? 

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Thanks Marcarl! I believe I found it on the bike, will be digging into it this weekend, but I'm not finding it on Partszilla. Does it have a different name or is it in a different parts diagram other than the clutch diagram? 

19B3D0E5-E693-45BF-AC14-40BFDCDECA5E.thumb.jpeg.65daaec962fd5bdaa7a0474ede06ddc3.jpegpart 27. 

• 1 month later...

Well, i think i may have taken the wrong thing off. Maybe I didn't. Need yalls expertise here. 

As you are facing the left side of the bike (as you're sitting on it, left leg side), I located the rubber cover over the slave cylinder, and I pulled the chrome cover to the right of that. Kinda panicked when fluid started coming out. It's dark, could be brake fluid or oil, but as I said, I panicked and put it back on and decided to come to the brain trust before moving forward. Did I pull the right thing? 

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Well, i think i may have taken the wrong thing off. Maybe I didn't. Need yalls expertise here. 

As you are facing the left side of the bike (as you're sitting on it, left leg side), I located the rubber cover over the slave cylinder, and I pulled the chrome cover to the right of that. Kinda panicked when fluid started coming out. It's dark, could be brake fluid or oil, but as I said, I panicked and put it back on and decided to come to the brain trust before moving forward. Did I pull the right thing? 

Yep, you got it right. A bit of oil will come out, that's normal, its' engine oil. Now if you look just to the left of that cover (middle gear cover) you will see what you need to remove. It sits right against the engine and has a 'brake' hose atteched to the front of it, with 2 allen bolts , top and bottom, holding it in place. First loosen and move the wires out of the way as best you can, and remove the hose (12mm socket), then remove the two bolts making very sure your wrench is fully seated before application of power. I like to use a 3/8 impact making sure first that it's set to remove, not to tighten. Once the bolts are removed and you hold your tongue just right the slave will drop out of the bottom. If it wants to resist that direction it's most likely that there is a wire set in the way at the stator case.

Thanks again Marcarl! It's a relief that I didn't just bugger something. I'm planning to order the slave cylinder this week and hope to be back riding soon. 

Do i need to look somewhere for all the brake fluid that's leaked out so I can clean that up? There hasn't been any leak to the floor, unless it came out with that oil. 

1 hour ago, Marcarl said:

Yep, you got it right. A bit of oil will come out, that's normal, its' engine oil. Now if you look just to the left of that cover (middle gear cover) you will see what you need to remove. It sits right against the engine and has a 'brake' hose atteched to the front of it, with 2 allen bolts , top and bottom, holding it in place. First loosen and move the wires out of the way as best you can, and remove the hose (12mm socket), then remove the two bolts making very sure your wrench is fully seated before application of power. I like to use a 3/8 impact making sure first that it's set to remove, not to tighten. Once the bolts are removed and you hold your tongue just right the slave will drop out of the bottom. If it wants to resist that direction it's most likely that there is a wire set in the way at the stator case.

46 minutes ago, Russ said:

Thanks again Marcarl! It's a relief that I didn't just bugger something. I'm planning to order the slave cylinder this week and hope to be back riding soon. 

Do i need to look somewhere for all the brake fluid that's leaked out so I can clean that up? There hasn't been any leak to the floor, unless it came out with that oil. 

I would order seal #93109-08061-00 and replace it as well to make sure. Then I would drain the oil out of the engine, flush it with some kerosene, let it drip out well, add new oil, run it until it get warm, then do another oil change. Also change the oil filter at the first change.

Just now, Marcarl said:

I would order seal #93109-08061-00 and replace it as well to make sure. Then I would drain the oil out of the engine, flush it with some kerosene, let it drip out well, add new oil, run it until it get warm, then do another oil change. Also change the oil filter at the first change.

Careful that you put the oil seal in the right way, solid side out.

1 hour ago, Marcarl said:

Careful that you put the oil seal in the right way, solid side out.

For the flush with kerosene, im assuming just pop the drain plug then pour kerosene in through oil fill, or do I need to drain the old, replug it, fill will kerosene and then drain? 

• 4 weeks later...

I got the parts, pulled that cover off, and the gasket is shot. Trying to find it in the parts diagram, but can't even find that cover on the diagram. Anyone know what the part number is for that gasket? 

Also, would it be easier to get to this clutch cylinder if i pull that front cover off? Or is that inviting more issues? 

Edited by Russ

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all! I wanted to give an update on this and toss in a few lessons learned from the experience in case someone else has this issue.

I got the slave cylinder replaced, however couldn't get to the oil gasket, that thing is in there deep and I couldn't find a pick that would reach it, so i did as close of an inspection of it as i could with an endoscope and it looked good, so i left it there.

Lessons learned:

- buy allen sockets. just freaking do it. life will be a million times easier.

- after you pop the clutch line off, pop it out of the holder under the bike and unscrew the other holder that's further up. this will allow you to move that line out of the way.

- remove the bleeder screw before you try and wiggle that thing out of there. do the same to the new one before you try and wiggle it back up in.

- after you've gravity flushed the line, you are going to pump the clutch lever what feels like a thousand times before it builds the pressure it needs to actuate the piston. it takes forever to build the pressure, this isn't like the brakes on your car that have a booster.

- a 2x4 under the kickstand and the handlebars turned far right will get you about as close to level on that reservoir as possible without a stand. just be careful, it's awful close to tipping point, so don't go pushing on anything, in fact, i did all removal and install without that 2x4 'cause it made me nervous, but definitely used it when keeping it full during the bleed.

- when you're pulling that oil drain plug, position your wrench so that you're pushing towards the kickstand when trying to break it loose. I was laying down on the floor pulling towards me, away from the kickstand, and when it tried to lift up off the stand from my efforts, i had one of those moments where i wondered if I was wearing my brown pants.

Anyhow, HUGE THANKS to everyone here for helping me get this sorted out. took it for a 100 mile shakedown after changing the cylinder and the oil, no leaks, fluid levels look good through the sight glasses. hope to see ya'll on the road!

-Russ

• Like 2