IGNORED

Tranny Question

CrazyHorse

With the 5th on the 1st Gen why would you want a overdrive. Not being smart just want to know. I haven't found the top of 5th yet and it cruises easy at 70 or 80 or 90.

I travel to and from work an hour each way 75+mph want the RPMS lower to around 3000. The bike was designed when 55 mph was the speed limit now with higher speeds limits I dont want 4500+ RPMs when I'm cruising especially with gas prices creeping up to $3.00 again.

"2Gen will fit, RST ??

I don't know for sure, think the change might be more than 50 Percent."

Squeeze i dont know what this means please explain. Thanks.

"2Gen will fit, RST ??

I don't know for sure, think the change might be more than 50 Percent."

Squeeze i dont know what this means please explain. Thanks.

Sorry for my poor and short Answer. Was a bit busy in the Office at that Time. I would have typed 'the Chance might be more than 50 Percent'.

The Gears from a 2nd Gen, a 1300 cc Engine will fit in a 1200 cc, 1st Gen Engine. Definatly

As i never had opened up a RST, Royal Star i'm not sure about the Gears. There are a lot of Engine-Parts interchangeable between all Years and Generations, most none interchanging Parts are like the Cams, because of different Timing, Pistons because the Diameter of the 1200 cc is 76 mm, 1300 cc is 79 mm. The Cylinderheads are interchanging, but on the RST or other "3Gen" Bikes wont fit it exactly, because the outgoing Parts to the Mufflers are not in the same Direction. Most of the other, inner Parts are the same or look the same on the Fiches, as as i have checked them for several Issues.

Even a newer Partsnumber, e.g. 4NK-XXXXX-XX-0X is no Hint that it is an other Part than on a 1st or a 2nd Generation Bike. There's allways a remaining Rest which is a Question of Knowing, Measurement or Try and Error.

Maybe someone other can step in, who is closer to both Engines and make a judgement Call on the Gears.

If you can live with overall 500 rpm less through all Gears, you can get a final Drive from a earlier Modell. Think up to 84 or 85 Yammi used a 33/9 Ratio. Your 1990 Bike should have 33/10 instead. I've done that Conversion on my Vmax because of other rear Wheel, the RPM rised by 500. It will lower the RPM, but in all Gears, not only in 5th. Costs me some tenth of a Time on Accelleration. Before Conversion, the Bike gone 130 km before Reservelight lid, after it is about 150km.