IGNORED

Exhaust Leak? New to me 1999 Venture

Hello

New member here with a new to me 1999 Venture with 45k miles on the odometer. Picked up the bike for what I feel was a good deal at $2k. Bike seems to run well but it sounds to have an exhaust leak at the very front of the engine. I am curious if this is a somewhat common issue that anyone has faced and how difficult it is to remove the entire exhaust system? Any help or tips are appreciated. Thank you!

It may just need to be snugged up. It will take an allan wrench to do that. The pipe is a pressed fit with a gasket and flange. I would back off the nuts (allan head) and retighten for starters,,, that's if the sound seems to be coming from that area. It could be that somebody had that off and didn't bring both sides up equal.

Along with Marcarl's suggestion I would coat the slip fit parts, matting surfaces and threaded parts with a high temp nickel based anti sieze compound such as Permatex® Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant , MMC78 Nickel Base Anti-Seize Lubricant Compound 2500°F , Volvo jointed bolt and exhaust paste 1161929 or equivalent. It helps parts to slide in place better and aids in getting a better seal. You will notice a smell the 1st time or two the engine heats up but after a few good rides the smell will be gone.

Edited by saddlebum