IGNORED

Over Fill the Crankcase

larrydr

My 83 XVZ1200 has transmission noise in neutral .. I backed the bike out the shop door and the drop of concrete brought the bike down 2 inches and the transmission noise is gone ...I rode the bike back into the shop and the noise is back when the bike is on the level floor ...I added 1/2 to 3/4 quart of oil to the crankcase which is a overfill  and the noise is gone ..When is the overfill to much oil  

2 hours ago, larrydr said:

My 83 XVZ1200 has transmission noise in neutral .. I backed the bike out the shop door and the drop of concrete brought the bike down 2 inches and the transmission noise is gone ...I rode the bike back into the shop and the noise is back when the bike is on the level floor ...I added 1/2 to 3/4 quart of oil to the crankcase which is a overfill  and the noise is gone ..When is the overfill to much oil  

When your over filled. Its better to be between the high and low lines than to be over the high mark or under the low mark.

45 minutes ago, saddlebum said:

When your over filled. Its better to be between the high and low lines than to be over the high mark or under the low mark.

I do know the manual says 3.7 US quarts ...I do know that the 83 is know to have that same noise . Is there a problem of of not enough lubrication that makes that washer/shim  with that much  wear at second gear a common issue