IGNORED

Turn signal works then lights up steady

Baldphil

just got a 1983 xvz1200. Front left turn signal bulb was blown. Replaced it and it worked for about 15 seconds then came on steady all the time. Stays on even if turn signal is disengaged. Checked bulb and one of the filaments is burnt.noticed that it flashed quicker than the right turn signal. 

Commonly in a dual filament bulb when one filament sometimes detaches at one end it shifts around and touches some where else in the bulb. This can cause anything from erratic light behavior to actually blowing fuses, leading one to believe they have a wiring short, when there actually isn't one. I would try another bulb and see what happens. Also check the rear signal bulb if it is burnt out it can cause the front signal bulb to flash faster than normal due to the nature of the signal flasher design.

Saddlebum, i replaced the bulb. Did the same thing. Rear bulb is fine and is a single filament and comes on steady when engaged with the front blown.  Right front is a double filament and that side works fine. Did notice that the right front bulb has beefier filaments. Also checked the blown bulb and nothing was touching. 

3 minutes ago, Baldphil said:

Saddlebum, i replaced the bulb. Did the same thing. Rear bulb is fine and is a single filament and comes on steady when engaged with the front blown.  Right front is a double filament and that side works fine. Did notice that the right front bulb has beefier filaments. Also checked the blown bulb and nothing was touching. 

Looked online and found that it takes a 1157 bulb. The ones that blew were 1154. Wonder if thats the problem. Not thick enough filiments?

On 7/4/2021 at 4:49 PM, Baldphil said:

Looked online and found that it takes a 1157 bulb. The ones that blew were 1154. Wonder if thats the problem. Not thick enough filiments?

If memory serves me right 1154 is a 6 volt bulb.

Edited by saddlebum