IGNORED

2014 Triglide

Woody

Just some experience this week when I first bought my Harley trike new in 2013 off the show room floor I noticed the sound of it cranking like it was dragging but never owning a Harley before and the shop didn't think there was anything wrong I was convinced that's the way they sound. After putting four batteries in since I bought it I woke up at two o'clock one mourning after working on it all night in my sleep and took the ground wire off, cleaned it and the lugs replacing them, the bike cranks better than it has since it was new. 

A few years ago while riding the blue ridge with some good friends my water pump went out so we carried it to the Harley shop there in Asheville, the folks there at the shop moved it to the front of the line and replaced my pump that had less than 10,000 miles on it with a new one and covered it under warranty. they explained to me that those pumps were a piece of crap and Harley had come up with a new one that was much better so I shouldn't have anymore trouble. WRONG my pump went out yesterday with just over 14000 miles total on the bike and since there is no warranty on it I decided to do the work myself. come to find out they did put a new pump on it but it was the same style the one that had failed before and I had to purchase a new style pump with kit because all the hoes and mounts changed with the new pumps. The service dude says if they do it the cost would be 800 dollars and I'm thinking it should have been done the first time. Okay I hope this helps someone else and I'll get off the box now. 

• Thanks 1

Okay for anyone interested I replaced the water pump today and from what I read it should take 3.5 to 4 hours if you have done it before and 5.5 to 6 hours if never done it before so that would be me. it took me 5 hours and it worked like a charm we took a 50 mile test ride and the trike never over heated and I use that term loosely after all it is a Harley. but I did notice when I backed it out of the shop the reverse was faster than before so I am convinced that the ground did need cleaning.  

I bet ya'll thought I was done with this. for the curious among us I had to find the failure. the pictures tell the story as you can see the 1st picture is the pump assembly together, 2nd picture is the pump separated from the motor, 3rd is the pump blade assembly separated from the plastic housing and last is the cracks that allowed the magnetic coupling to spread and lock up the pump. I tested the motor and it will run. 

2014 TriGlide Waterpump (1).jpg

2014 TriGlide Waterpump (2).jpg2014 TriGlide Waterpump (3).jpg2014 TriGlide Waterpump (4).jpg

Edited by Woody