IGNORED

Santa Fe to Farmington, NM. Best Route?

petekadish

On Saturday, July 26th, my wife and I will be heading back home to the Salt Lake City, Utah area from Rogers & Bentonville, Arkansas - STAR Days. We need to complete this ride in 4-5 days.

The most direct route (as drawn by MapQuest), shows the mileage to be about 1,300 miles, but we're not looking for the fastest route, we are searching for the best ride - but, one which we can complete within 4-5 days.

So far, we figured that we would ride through these places in the following order:

1. Rogers, Arkansas

2. Amarillo, Texas

3. Santa Fe, New Mexico

4. Farmington, New Mexico

* This is where we're we need some help. Once we leave Santa Fe, New Mexico, our next destination is Farminton, New Mexico. From the first leg of our ride from Santa Fe, it looks like we have two (almost equal?) route choices - See the attached maps - Route 1 & Route 2.

We have never been to New Mexico before and we would like to try and plan the "best" choice of route, but we can't decide if it's a better choice to take:

The "low road" (Route 1 = down I-25, North-West to 550 to Farmington.

Or ...,

The "high road" (Route 2 = up I-285, to 96, to 550 to Farmington.

Distance wise, both choices look about the same. Time-wise, I have no idea. Is anyone out there familiar with this area or either of these routes?

We are also open to any other suggestions we can get about travel in these parts such as "can't miss" or "don't bother" suggestions.

There's nothing like the voice of experience. Thanks guys!

Be Safe! Pete.

96 to 550 is nice; it gets over close to the badlands, but does not really go through it (if I remember right). Some of it will be very pretty, but likely hot too. Personally, I'd head further North out of Santa Fe. Try 285 to Tres Piedras, then cut over through Tierra Amarilla to Chama, and take 64 over to Farmington. Ride Safe,

Goose

Hey Pete,

Heres my opinion, From Santa Fe north to Pojoaque, NM4 west through Los Alamos and back down to San Ysidro where you will pick up 550. Forget 126, it's dirt. NM96 is nice but you see plenty of that stuff in Utah. NM4 has some nice twisties and you will be going through some awsome high country that will feel good in July. If I can be of more help, Let me know.

Be safe, Gary

I've done 550 from Santa Fe to Farmington: nice hi-speed highway

I've also done US 84 from Espanola to Chama, then US 64 to Farmington. I prefer that way, a bit longer, a bit more scenic.

sorry, haven't done state hiway 96.

I love New Mexico.

Rip