IGNORED

Exhaust Tips for RSV

Guest divey

Guest divey

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/accessories/images/STR-1D693-50-01_t.jpg

This is a picture of the exhaust tips that Yamaha sells for the RSTD. I looked at a set at the dealer today for my RSV. They fit into the end of the exhaust okay but not sure how they attach. Each tip has 4 inside holes (non-threaded) and come with screws but either these were the wrong screws or the RSTD exhaust is different than the RSV because there is nothing in the end of the RSV exhaust for the tip to attach to. The dealer was unable to come up with any solution.

Anyone had experience with these on the RSV?

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/accessories/images/STR-1D693-50-01_t.jpg

This is a picture of the exhaust tips that Yamaha sells for the RSTD. I looked at a set at the dealer today for my RSV. They fit into the end of the exhaust okay but not sure how they attach. Each tip has 4 inside holes (non-threaded) and come with screws but either these were the wrong screws or the RSTD exhaust is different than the RSV because there is nothing in the end of the RSV exhaust for the tip to attach to. The dealer was unable to come up with any solution.

Anyone had experience with these on the RSV?

The RSTD mufflers are esentially the same as the RSV with the exception of the tips and the two threaded holes in the end of each muffler that the tips attach to. You need those threaded holes to add the tips.

DT

Ok Doug,

I've been exposed. So here is what you need to do to mount these RSTD tips in your RSV mufflers.

These tips will come with 4 (2 on each tip) 6mm X 1.00 pitch allen head set screws. The hardest part about making holes for these set screws is getting the holes marked to where they set straight. You only need to make 2 holes (top and bottom) since there are 4 holes in each tip so you can rotate them any direction.

Once you get the holes marked the way you want them, you need to drill a small 5/32" or maybe 11/64" hole in each location. To tap a 6mm hole you need to drill a 13/64" hole. Since you will be drilling through a piece of heavy sheet metal, you need to create a surface that can be threaded. So once you get these holes drilled, take a tapered punch and drive it into the hole. As you drive it in you will create a flanged funnel like surface inside. Keep driving it in further until the end of the 13/64" drill bit goes snuggly into the hole. Now you can take your 6mm X 1.00 pitch tap and cut threads for the set screws.

Now getting these set screws bolted through the tip into the muffler will take a little time and patience because there is not alot of room for an allen wrench. A balled end allen works well for getting them started.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Guest divey
Ok Doug,

I've been exposed. So here is what you need to do to mount these RSTD tips in your RSV mufflers.

These tips will come with 4 (2 on each tip) 6mm X 1.00 pitch allen head set screws. The hardest part about making holes for these set screws is getting the holes marked to where they set straight. You only need to make 2 holes (top and bottom) since there are 4 holes in each tip so you can rotate them any direction.

Once you get the holes marked the way you want them, you need to drill a small 5/32" or maybe 11/64" hole in each location. To tap a 6mm hole you need to drill a 13/64" hole. Since you will be drilling through a piece of heavy sheet metal, you need to create a surface that can be threaded. So once you get these holes drilled, take a tapered punch and drive it into the hole. As you drive it in you will create a flanged funnel like surface inside. Keep driving it in further until the end of the 13/64" drill bit goes snuggly into the hole. Now you can take your 6mm X 1.00 pitch tap and cut threads for the set screws.

Now getting these set screws bolted through the tip into the muffler will take a little time and patience because there is not alot of room for an allen wrench. A balled end allen works well for getting them started.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Very helpful instructions. Thanks for that. It would seem to me that getting a drill bit and tap and die in that small exhaust opening is going to be a challenge. Any thoughts on whether something like JB Weld wouldn't work? I know it's used on engine blocks so heat wouldn't be a problem. Not sure whether it's designed for chromed parts however. Obviously the tips would be on there for good using something like that but I don't intend on taking them off anyway. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.........Doug

Doug,

The holes that are needed are in the tapered part of the end that surrounds the hole, not in the hole. This is an area that is about 3" in diameter. I'm guessing you haven't received the tips yet. When you get the tips you will see that they are an exact fit into this area and the location of the 2 holes will be very evident.

And no JB Weld will not work. They need to be held in by these set screws.

Rick

• 3 years later...