IGNORED

Utah trip coming up soon, any recommendations?

Midrsv

This year's motorcycle adventure is about 3 weeks away. My wife and I, along with 5 other couples will be travelling to Utah the second week of June. All of the guys will be riding from central KY to Grand Junction, CO where we will meet up with our wives who will be flying in. From there we will be riding a 6 day loop through southern Utah. We plan to visit Arches, Zion and Bryce Canyon, Cedar Breaks, and Capital Reef National parks along with Monument Valley.

We will be staying in Moab, Page. AZ, Springdale, Bryce and Bicknell before heading back to Grand Junction. I am looking for recommendations for restaurants and other sites to see. From my research online there doesn't appear to be a lot of restaurant selection in some of the towns and what is there doesn't get too good of a review. I am hopefull that we can find some decent food. I am also interested in any unique points of interest, places that we must stop to see. Other than the day from Moab to Page we should only be traveling about 100 to 150 miles per day. So that should give us a fair amount of time to look around.

Thanks,

Dennis

I did a trip close to that one,same vicinity,my recommendation is.....KEEP YOUR CAMERA BATTERY CHARGED OR CARRY A SPARE!!!. Tom ( If you get down towards the Grand Canyon,East side, a town called Cameron has some great food at what looks like an Indian trading Post ,Restaurant ETC . Food was excellent.)

I did a trip close to that one,same vicinity,my recommendation is.....KEEP YOUR CAMERA BATTERY CHARGED OR CARRY A SPARE!!!. Tom ( If you get down towards the Grand Canyon,East side, a town called Cameron has some great food at what looks like an Indian trading Post ,Restaurant ETC . Food was excellent.)

Thanks Tom,

I will have multiple cameras and multiple batteries for each and a pocketful of CF and SD cards. I checked out Cameron on the map and it is a little further south than we planned. We'll be coming through Monument Valley from the NE on 163 and then take 160 SW until we turn back to the NW on 98 headed to Page. It looks like Cameron would add another 80 miles or so to the day.

Dennis

Dennis-

I don't know the name of the restaurant in Moab, but there is an Italian restaurant accross the street from the visitors center in the center of town. My family has eaten there numerous times over the years.

Jan's Aunt and Uncle live in Rockville (town next to Springdale) and the locals like Oscar's in Springdale. It's just off of the main road and serves excellent mexican food. The address is: 948 Zion Park Blvd Springdale, UT

It's a right hand turn off of the highway a little bit after you exit Zion's park.

Have a fantastic trip. Wish we could join you.

Dave:thumbsup:

Theres a great little diner with a womans name right on the main street in Moab that has awesome breakfasts. In Panguich, there is a deli and gift shop in a brick building that has great sandwiches. The sandwich shop is actually a chain that I have only seen in Utah, so I don't remember the name. Don't miss any of Highway 12, sounds like you won't.

You're going to love Utah (especially if you're well prepared). For example:

Carry lots of drinking water when you're out on the road here, and drink it often. If you haven't been to southern Utah in the summer, be prepared to handle the heat - the kind of heat which billows out of an oven when you open the oven door. Moab can feel like a blast furnace sometimes during the summer. Just be prepared! Portable water-misters and a good-quality cooling vest can make all the difference in the world.

When my sweetie and I road back to Utah two years ago from Star Days in Colorado, the desert temps. were about 115 degrees. Fortunately, humidity isn't an issue out in these parts, but heat stroke can be.

Be Safe! Pete.

You will have a great trip.I have been riding this area for years and still find new things.

Restaurants,In Green River just north of where you will be riding and worth the side trip.Raises his own beef and hand cuts his own fries.Great steaks or burgers.

Mexican Hat:can't remember the restaurant's name but there is not much in Mexican Hat.This is the restaurant on the river and has the best Navajo Tacos in the world.

Roads: be sure to go to Natural Bridges and then ride the road from there to Mexican Hat.You will go down the Moqui Dugway.It is steep,and scary looking,but much more scary looking then really scary.The view is magnificent,you will think you have come to the edge of the world and 1 foot farther and you will fall off into nothing.I think you can just about see to Flagstaff.Stop at Edge of the Ceders in Blanding and I could go on and on but you can't time is just always so limited.That of course gives you an excuse to come back.Let me know what days you will be in the area and if I can break away I will join you for a day or so.

If you get a chance, head down to Bluff, Utah. It's in the southeastern corner of the state. I have a Great Uncle that lives down there that we went to visit a couple years back. Absolutely fantastic scenery, along with some good ruins to visit.. My Great Uncle used to be an outfitter / guide down there and knows the area like the back of his hand. I could put you in touch if you want, just PM me. But at the least, try and make it up to Mesa Verde in Colorado. Also, Bypass four corners. There really isn't anything there to see, short of a round plaque in the ground that's supposedly right at the spot where the states touch. Was really kind of a let-down.

Also, if you make it to the Bluff area, Monument Valley isn't all that far off.. and that's DEFINATELY worth the visit.

OH! and I almost forgot... Watch out for the free range Cattle... Almost nailed one coming around a curve in the rental car. Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take some extra fuel along with... in some areas the gas stations are few and far between.

Thanks for the advice, we will be going through Bluff and Mexican Hat on our way to Monument Valley. We'll be taking 191 to 163.

About that free range cattle, is it everywhere or only in certain areas?

Dennis

Guest TFD69

Virgin River Chasm and Grand Staircase are awesome but make sure you have full tanks before starting out on the Staircase, there are no gas stops along the way and you will be on fumes when you get to one.

Southern Utah, one of my favourite rides :canada:

Virgin River Chasm and Grand Staircase are awesome but make sure you have full tanks before starting out on the Staircase, there are no gas stops along the way and you will be on fumes when you get to one.

Southern Utah, one of my favourite rides :canada:

Can you give me the route numbers for the Virgin River Chasm and Grand Staircase ride?

Thanks,

Dennis

Your gonna like Moab. Great roads & terrific scenery.

Here is a link to a ride a few of us made to Moab a couple of years back.

http://www.actualriders.ca/canyonrun2007.htm

Make sure you take in The Canyonlands. Well worth spending a few hours there.

As for restaurants they have all the biggies, MacDonalds, Dennys etc.

Oh you were thinking good food!

I don't recall the name of it, but there is a very good steakhouse I on 191 at (I think) Spanish Trail Road. When we were there we noticed The Moab Diner was always busy and one day we gave it a try and we were very disappointed. Slow, loud and very average food.

Moab is a real tourist center and if you look around you will find some good places to eat.

As others have noted take lots of water with you. It can get extremely hot there and on the bike dehydration can set in very quickly.

Enjoy your ride.

Thanks for the advice, we will be going through Bluff and Mexican Hat on our way to Monument Valley. We'll be taking 191 to 163.

About that free range cattle, is it everywhere or only in certain areas?

Dennis

As far as I could tell, just about everywhere south of Salt Lake City was free range cattle. it's not a problem on the 4-lanes, but you get off those and you're in cattle country.

when you get to bluff, if you have time to spare, there's some cliff dwellings directly across the river from Bluff. I'm sure if you ask around you might be able to find someone that will take you to them.

Have fun! and don't forget the sunscreen!

We just got back from a So. Utah vacation. It was over 100 deg the first 4 days and under 70 deg the rest of the time. Hit a snow storm in Cedar Breaks and it was not open yet 5/22. Dress in layers and cool vest/neck scarves are a must. I would do Mesa Verde and the North rim of the Grand Canyon if I was you, great riding and views. Plan on doing some walking if you can. I love Zion but you need to hike to get the best views. I did Angles Landing and the view is awesome but a hard hike/climb. You will take lots of pics at all your stops for sure. Have fun and you can email me if you want more info. Rod

Guest Dan Ferguson

I hope you have great weather and take lots of photos. I enjoy watching the videos you put together. Thanks again for all the help you've given me on my rstd. My new Avons are scheduled for installation on 6-17-08. Be safe and ENJOY!

Dan

I did the Utah trip last year. Wish I had three weeks to do it. I only had four days on the road. Fill up often. Gas stations can be few and far between.

What to avoid:

I 70 from Grand Junction to Green River. One of the most un-sightly , windy rides ever. I thought I would wear out the left side of my tires from leaning into the wind, then as you travel along the road goes into a cut in the terrain and the wind is gone like snap, until you come out the other side that is, then its back. Ride with care. Also, if you must take that route time it so you get to Green River before sundown. You do not want to be riding into the sun on that road.

Great Salt Lake: Just a big smelly polluted body of water. Don't waste your time. No beaches, Copper smelter dumping arsenic in the water for over 50 years. Way over rated.

Out of the way places to see (not in any particular order): Here is a link to the sights I mention below. Others are there as well.

http://www.utah.com/byways/

Goblin Valley. It is a small state park that is in the middle of nowwhere but is a must see. Fill up before you go there, and again on your way out. Get there before sundown and make sure you have a camera. It is one wierd place when the shadows get long.

The Nebo loop. Beautiful scenic byway just south of American Fork.

Bryce Canyon. Unmatched scenery. Some of my shots of Bryce Canyon and the Nebo Loop made the 2008 Venturerider calendar.

Nine mile canyon. Some of the oldest rock carvings in the world. The canyon is actually over 70 miles long. Not a smooth road, and lots of dust and traffic from oil and gas exploration though. Good scenery. Sometimes called the Babylon of Utah.

Zions National Park in the south. Bear Lake State Park in the North. Pick and chose, and make a date to go back. You can't see this state in only three weeks.

Best of luck. Don't worry about the restaurants. You won't find many bad ones except in the tourist traps. Utahn's are notoriously thrifty. A bad restaurant doesn't last long. Look for the local cars (Utah plates are easy to spot) If you like sushi and will be in SLC send me a PM. I know a great little place that is out of the way.

Best regards,

Be sure to have fun and ride safe. Post all the photos because you know we want to see the sights.

Take Care,

Mama:hurts:

I'll probably start another thread with updates (each evening) from the road. I'll have my laptop along with me.

DT