IGNORED

My 1200

larrydr

Bought a older Venture as no not repairable ...Got it running , installed a new battery , new charging stator , clutch basket , new spark plugs , oil & filter change and it runs great .

I have noticed a bearing noise behind the clutch basket and the starter does not have enough cranking power when the engine is warmed up

Welcome! Congratulations on the bike! Some photos would be nice!

The Ventures had weak two brush starters until 1991 as I understand when Yamaha installed 4 brush starters finally. There are some things you can do to make yours stronger such as using larger cables and clean up the starter and install another ground inside it. There are threads on these changes you may find if you do a search. Or you can keep an eye on ebay and buy a used 4 brush. As I understand, any 1300cc V4 Yamaha starter from 91 up will work. The Venture was stopped in 93 but then the RSTD came out in 96 with the 2nd Gen Venture starting in 99.

You'll notice that on a really hot day, after the bike's hot, it'll sound like it's not going to start....barely turns over then fires....I've never much believed in putting heavier cables in, but just about the time I bought my second gen, I had bought a starter off an old V-Max....still need to install it. You'll probably end up having issues here and there, but you've found the right forum to help deal with them as you find them. You may want to upgrade at least the clutch springs....check / replace carb diaphrams.....change brake and clutch fluid.....maybe replace front shock seals / springs....

Once you give one of these old gems a good going over, they'll give you years and years of reliable service, (with a little love required from time to time)...

Welcome to the forum:cool10: