IGNORED

Gps Units

BIG TOM

OK, I NEED YOUR INPUT AGAIN..IM LOOKING TO BUY A GPS FOR MY RIDE..WHAT DO YOU USE AND WHY..WHATS THE BEST VALUE OUT THERE..IM CONFUSED AGAIN..SO MANY CHOICES..I KNOW I CAN TRUST YOU GUYS TO POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION..:mo money:WHAT ABOUT MOUNTS?

Research

gpscity or gpsnow

Units offer different features... you know what's best for you.

I suggest getting a unit designed for a motorcycle... they are designed for the vibration and are waterproof.

As for mounts: a ram mount tends to be very versatile and sturdy.

I use a Garmin Quest with a ram mount and like it as I can run it with topo maps and hike with it as well.

Good luck with your search.

I use a Magellan hand held with a ram mount for the bike i like the hand held as i also use it for fishing and hunting also my grandkids love to go GeoCaching so for me the handheld works out best plus i have had it for several years now with no problems

The Zumo 550 comes with everything you need or could want. At just over $500 it's a hell of a deal. Includes supports, locking, MP3, Bluetooth, trip-mileage-even altimeter. What else do you need?

Depends on the budget. I have a Nuvi 350 which is great for the price. I also have a separate XM but I use that between bike and car. The Zumo has built in XM and is designed with motorcycles in mind. If you have the $$ go with the Zumo.

A few months ago there was a similar thread, but I wasn't as ready to look seriously at them myself. But someone, (think it was freebird) commented about the number of user defined waypoints, so you can plan the trip, punch them in and go. There was also comments on heat, etc. if a non-m/c GPS was chosenI am as yet moderately clueless as the only GPS I have any familiarity with (and it's been a while) was on my brothers boat several years ago and I wasn't adept with it by any stretch. Can someone also comment on those aspects, because unlike one poster suggested.....I don't know exactly what I need. I would like to be able to plan my own stops, etc.

Big Tom..ain't tryin to hijack yer thread, but I'd like to know too. Hopefully, this way, I won't have to do this but once, myself and I think you want the same sort of help I do..

If you want something really simple and inexpensive, the nuvi 250 is great - bought one as a gift for someone - played with it a bit - wow - super simple and easy to use.

I've used the iway350c pretty decent unit with lots of options - as I get older, I prefer the simpler ones!!!

Eugene

Guest tx2sturgis
A few months ago there was a similar thread, but I wasn't as ready to look seriously at them myself. But someone, (think it was freebird) commented about the number of user defined waypoints, so you can plan the trip, punch them in and go. There was also comments on heat, etc. if a non-m/c GPS was chosenI am as yet moderately clueless as the only GPS I have any familiarity with (and it's been a while) was on my brothers boat several years ago and I wasn't adept with it by any stretch. Can someone also comment on those aspects, because unlike one poster suggested.....I don't know exactly what I need. I would like to be able to plan my own stops, etc.

Big Tom..ain't tryin to hijack yer thread, but I'd like to know too. Hopefully, this way, I won't have to do this but once, myself and I think you want the same sort of help I do..

Hey auto...most if not all GPS units will do the basics, and you can put in waypoints, which are simply a place on the planet that the GPS knows the location of. It could be your house, or a buddy's place in the next state, or that favorite fishing spot on the lake. Normally waypoints are what you add to the unit, either by punching in the lat and long, or by actually going somewhere and marking the place as a waypoint. You enter a name for the waypoint, and youre all set to find it again.

POI's are points of interest, which are usually pre-programed, such as gas stations, shopping centers, bowling alleys, restaurants and so on. Most of the navigational units include around 6 million or more of these. When you are rolling into a city, you can punch up POI's that you need, such as take me to the nearest TacoBell, or whats the closest ATM, or what are some attractions around here, like museums and nightclubs. Normally there will be an address and a phone number along with the location on the display.

Of course most GPS units nowadays, other than the low end handheld units, have maps and can help you find your way from point A to point B, then to point C and so forth.

One thing to keep in mind is that a GPS is a 'travelers aid'...it does not substitute for a good road atlas or state map. The map data in a GPS will always have errors. Cities and states that make changes to roads, highways, and intersections are not responsible for updating your GPS, or the map datum for that matter. So...a GPS can be a big help, or it can get you well and thouroughly confused and lost, especially in any growing city where road construction is ongoing.

If you pay attention and watch the signs as you travel, and the GPS, you will usually do OK.

Most of the GPS units today in the $150 range and up do a pretty good job of navigating, and the motorcycle specific ones have a few extra features for us, plus they are waterproof.

All the current units that I know of can keep your trip data, such as miles traveled, average speed, current heading, maximum speed, and so-on.

So...with all that said, the more you pay, the more features you get, including voice prompts, and text-to-speech, where the unit can actually say "Turn right on Smith Avenue"...as opposed to 'Turn right in 500 feet'.

They all do have some quirks regarding navigation, such as tryin to tell you to make a u-turn on a one way road, or exit right when you need to exit left...things like that. Its all based on map data, however flawed it is.

Hope this helps.

You can always do research on the net...just google GPS review...you'll find plenty of stuff to read.

I prefer the Garmin units myself. But there are lots of good ones on the market.

Good Luck.

I have a Lowrance iway 500C.. It was the original Motorcycle GPS.. Is water resistant and has a shock insulated 20 gig Hard Drive and mine came with a ram mount and a suction cup mount for the car. It's screen is bigger than most and bigger than some GPS units. It is also an mp3 player with 10 gigs designated for music.

I paid $225 on ebay for a used unit.. Not sure if you can still buy these new.. The replacement model is the iway 600

http://www.gpscity.com/g/gps/l/i/iway500c.jpg

http://www.builderdepot.com/Lowrance_16/prodimg/iway600c.jpg

I don't think there is much difference in unit operations but motorcycle intended units may be the way to go. Water proof would be good but sunlight readable display is worth thinking about. I have been using a Garman auto unit since I already have it. The navigation is great wondering around the blue roads but it is hard to see in the sun. I see motorcycle units advertised a easy to see but I haven't tried one myself.

Jerry

So, (spyder & Sturgis),

First, Tx2Sturgis, thanks a lot the detail is really helpful. And AZspyder thank you as well.

I take it from both of you that essentially any decent GPS will let you plan an average trip of say 500 to 1000 miles and plug in where all your planned stops will be.....for example every what--say 125-150 miles for a pit stop, gas and butt-break & the requisite DQ stops. Is that kinda what I'm hearing or am I seeing voices again.:whistling:

From there it would be xtra features, price, brand, m/c specific or not, etc.?

I'll weigh in with a vote for the Garmin 2720. It's waterproof, has a largish touch screen and a remote. Now, a remote might not sound like a useful thing on a bike, but it does let the co-pilot fiddle with things while I keep my hands on the bars. We put a lanyard on it so there's not chance of dropping it.

It does take bike power, no batteries. I got the bike mounting kit, and have it hooked into my Autocom system and the voice prompts are quite clear. Have it hooked to a Ram mount on the brake master.

One of the best things, it it's NOT the latest and greatest, so they can be picked up on E-Bay for $150 or so. A pretty good deal.

My 0.02.

Paul

OK, I NEED YOUR INPUT AGAIN..IM LOOKING TO BUY A GPS FOR MY RIDE..WHAT DO YOU USE AND WHY..WHATS THE BEST VALUE OUT THERE..IM CONFUSED AGAIN..SO MANY CHOICES..I KNOW I CAN TRUST YOU GUYS TO POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION..:mo money:WHAT ABOUT MOUNTS?

I just picked up a Nuvi 650 with a wide screen, $210, Ebay Refurbished. Really like it so far. This weekend will be my first use on the bike. I don't worry too much about the water proof issue as I cover it with a Ziplock bag if rain is in the forecast. As far as the vibration I ride a venture so that's not an issue either :thumbsup: More vibration in my cages than on my bike. I like the bigger screen and the easy to use MP3, and picture viewer. The map directions seem very accurate compared to my previous GPS. Its all a matter of $ and personal preference.

Jay