IGNORED

2018 Yamaha Star Eluder Query

David Lee

Hey guys - I'm a newbie to the group. I'm looking to upgrade to a bagger (Yamaha Star Eluder). I currently ride a 2007 Kawasaki 900 custom that I have modified over the years for the longer haul. I test rode the Eluder and was blown away (easy to be after what I've been riding for 12 years). I'd like to get an opinion from anyone who may have this bike? I haven't seen any on the road, I live in Los Angeles. Any advise? Words of wisdom? Thanks, in advance.

Hey guys - I'm a newbie to the group. I'm looking to upgrade to a bagger (Yamaha Star Eluder). I currently ride a 2007 Kawasaki 900 custom that I have modified over the years for the longer haul. I test rode the Eluder and was blown away (easy to be after what I've been riding for 12 years). I'd like to get an opinion from anyone who may have this bike? I haven't seen any on the road, I live in Los Angeles. Any advise? Words of wisdom? Thanks, in advance.

I rode it at the last Long Beach Motorcycle convention, its a really nice bike, i still love my VTC however and stepping up to that bike is not that much cost difference to do so. The only difference is the storage you get and the Standard Equipment that I can see.

They still need to give us more color choices then two, this was and still is my biggest complaint with regards to the Yamaha Star line Bikes. When I was at the 2018 show I was able to speak to one of the lead designers on the Venture and Eluder bikes, he shared that they where going head on for Harley's customers, and at the time I was looking at all of these big baggers, after riding the Yamaha I was like you hooked.

However when I asked about the color choices I was told that they where only offering the two and this is where I feel they are lacking, I know that I can go get the bike painted, but why? when I pay that much cash I should be able to get a wide variety of color choices and combo's just say.

Well hope you like your Bike when you pick it up, Del Amo Motor Sport is where I purchased my VTC from but I will never take it to them for service, I ride down to Irvine and take it to Mission Motor Sports, they have a qualified mechanic who actually knows the bike very well and is able to fix it right the first time. Del Amo does not pay their mechanics enough money to keep the good ones so they quickly leave for Greener pastures. But I will say that Del Amo does have a great selection and sales staff.

Not trying to bash or bad mouth Del Amo, I am just speaking from personal experience.

I rode it at the last Long Beach Motorcycle convention, its a really nice bike, i still love my VTC however and stepping up to that bike is not that much cost difference to do so. The only difference is the storage you get and the Standard Equipment that I can see.

They still need to give us more color choices then two, this was and still is my biggest complaint with regards to the Yamaha Star line Bikes. When I was at the 2018 show I was able to speak to one of the lead designers on the Venture and Eluder bikes, he shared that they where going head on for Harley's customers, and at the time I was looking at all of these big baggers, after riding the Yamaha I was like you hooked.

However when I asked about the color choices I was told that they where only offering the two and this is where I feel they are lacking, I know that I can go get the bike painted, but why? when I pay that much cash I should be able to get a wide variety of color choices and combo's just say.

Well hope you like your Bike when you pick it up, Del Amo Motor Sport is where I purchased my VTC from but I will never take it to them for service, I ride down to Irvine and take it to Mission Motor Sports, they have a qualified mechanic who actually knows the bike very well and is able to fix it right the first time. Del Amo does not pay their mechanics enough money to keep the good ones so they quickly leave for Greener pastures. But I will say that Del Amo does have a great selection and sales staff.

Not trying to bash or bad mouth Del Amo, I am just speaking from personal experience.

Ok. Thank you. I appreciate your response. I'll look into finding a mechanic on the West Side. Good information.

Devils advocate here...

Please note, I'm no fanboy or shareholder of Indian/Polaris or any domestic motorcycle/car manufacturer for that matter. I know this is a Yamaha enthusiast forum and I stand the chance of stumbling into someones cross hairs but if it were me looking to plunk down 15-20+ large for a twin cruiser/bagger/tourer I would want to know about this too.

Google 2020 Indian Raptor, it looks like they are producing a performance oriented big twin for 2020 by ditching the "air cooled" and "narrow angle" parts of the recipe while keeping the big twin part. I know performance is not usually a top priority for twin buyers but if it is important to you then I would be remiss not to at least mention this. I apologize for cluttering up your thread if you already knew about this or it doesn't matter.

I'll be backing slowly out of the room now. :stirthepot:

No offense taken at all. We discuss many different bikes here and everybody has their own opinions. I am looking forward to seeing what Indian comes out with. I wonder if they will reveal it at Sturgis. It will be interesting. If I were in the market, I too would be waiting to at least check it out before buying.

No offense taken at all. We discuss many different bikes here and everybody has their own opinions. I am looking forward to seeing what Indian comes out with. I wonder if they will reveal it at Sturgis. It will be interesting. If I were in the market, I too would be waiting to at least check it out before buying.

Thanks Don for not dragging me over the coals haha. I could ride to Sturgis, view it and be back within about 2 hours with traffic. I very badly want to see/hear/feel this Indian but not bad enough to go to Sturgis during the Rally. I did read in a couple places that it would likely be at Sturgis this year. It would be foolish to NOT let it be seen there where so many of their customers are likely to be!

I did not ride the Eluder, but I threw a leg over when I went down to try out the Gen3 Venture (which they did not have). The Eluder is really a nicely made bike, I was impressed by fit/finish but again, didnt ride.

Also of note; BMW released a K1600B bagger that would fetch about $20k USD, fairly close to what your looking to spend but you would get that MAGICAL inline 6. Nope, I dont own BMW stock either. Different than what your looking at but a formidable and visually striking bagger in your price range nonetheless. It has dignity and plenty of testicular fortitude to be sure. At 130tq (most of it available by 1500rpm) and 160hp it's no joke but as with anything German, cost of parts, maintenance and ownership should be factored in. The Rocket III comes in bagger form too, thats a love it or hate it machine that needs no introduction. Thats one I did ride and dayum, put me squarely on the love-it list! If I ever stumble across a RIII at a bargain I'll own it for sure, they are simple, I like simple. I dont like touch screens on a bike, seems silly to me but I realize I'm in the minority on that one. The most trouble free bike I have ever owned was a Hinkley era Triumph so I'm biased towards Triumph, and really BMW too but it's hard not to be considering some of their offerings.

Please keep us posted on your search and what you end up with. I'm excited on your behalf, it's a great time to be looking for a new steed, there are better deals and more amazing choices than at any time in the past. :beer:

Oh, I forgot to say WELCOME!!! regardless of what you buy hopefully you will stick around, it's a great community.

I had the same year 900 in a classic model. Put 40k+ on that bike. Some long haul to NC 1 up and 2 up, some long 1 up to Ohio and back to Fla. I went from the 900 to the 2nd gen RSV. Was a big jump in weight. I rode the new venture when it came out up in Daytona. Defiantly lighter feeling than the 2nd gen. Felt similar to my Victory XCT.

Then engine for that Indian should be good and a bit cooler on ya. It was going to go in the "new" Victory touring bike that was in the works to replace the Vision. My advise is by a nice clean used one unless a dealer will get you a good deal.