IGNORED

Another gremlin arises, ignition or bad wire??

Hello,

After finally getting the carbs straightened out, I started have issues with it shutting off,

bike would just go dead, no power for a split second, shutting off lights and engine, then back on, allowing me to restart most of the time, but it would happen every 100 feet..

started looking into the wiring and the possibility of it being the ignition switch.

all the things lead me to the ignition switch problem, except for the fact that if I slightly touch the wires going to the Starter relay, the power comes back on..

pulled the cable plug found the main wire was barely connected , repaired, and fired it up.. worked for about 40 miles then boom, split second power loss, restarted, kept rolling, went out again, this time power didn't return.

pulled over, slipped a flat head screw driver behind that black cover by the rear footboard, pushed on the wires, power popped right on, fired up, away I went..

this has now become the norm as I ride this trying to figure it out.

It makes no sense to me that it would be the ignition issue, if wiggling that group of wires back by the fuse box/starter relay make everything work again, every time, time after time.

I just can't keep taking the chance of it happening in a place that then puts me in danger like bridges, turns, intersections ect.

so, I will ask those who are far smarter then me on these matters.

has this issue some up before, I am looking more towards the wires right now, and they all look good, and make good contact, and although I am able to easily and consistently restore power, it is not as easy to wiggle them and loose power.

I have yet to find an area or action that gives me consistent power loss.

I wanted to just pull the fuse box and replace it, but unlike my other bikes, this is part of the main harness, and to place it, you replace the whole harness, which is a pain in itself, so for now, that's out..

so does anyone have clue as to what is going on??

Thank you all for all your past help..

Chuck

I know that it may seem counter productive, but what I would do is to go to the area where you stick your screwdriver and pull on the wires. If they are good then they will stay put, but if there is a bad one, you might find it easily.

I have pulled ,tugged,wiggled and bent

Every wire down there in that area trying to get

It to shut the bike off, and when it finally does happen, it wont happen at that spot again..

That's what's driving me nuts.

Nothing worse than intermittent electrical problems. Seeing that you get the power back when using a screwdriver or wiggling or pulling wires in the area you described, I would follow the all wires to their connections, open the connectors and dielectric grease all of them for starters. Check the pins before adding the grease. Check the the fuse connections and the main fuse just rear of the fuse area behind the black plastic cover. Something in that area of the bike is not making a good connection. Also check the wires for chaffing.

Over the winter, I removed all the plastic on my RSV and also removed the seat and gas tank. I cleaned all the connections with contact cleaner and compressed air then dielectric greased every connection. Also split the handlebar controls and used contact cleaner and compressed air there. Not going to have to worry about electrical connections for a long while I hope. It's amazing how much dirt and corrosion accumulates in electrical connections over the years.

Back in that area you mentioned there is a solenoid and a main 30a fuse. I made a 5 or 6k trip up to Canada and back all was good. A couple days later went to start bike, click nothing. Ran it down to the area you mention. Had some wires not in good shape.

Thank you for the suggestions..

I went home and played with it some more last night..

I think I may have discovered the area where I get a consistent loss of power when wiggled.

it is part of the wiring harness that is zip tied to the frame, where the wires to the fuse box, and the wires to the relay separate.

I tried an experiment yesterday, while bike was running, I pulled the ignition fuse, and it basically mimicked my issue, left radio on, but bike dead, put in fuse, dash lights up, and starts right up.

I ran out of time, but my next experiment will be to see if when I loose power before, or after the fuse box. if it is before, then the wire from the plug in the front is bad, if it is after, then the wire from the box to the relay is bad,

either way, it should the be as simple as splicing in a new wire between the two connection (I hope)

according to this diagram, it is the Brown/blue wire I am looking for correct??

https://www.venturerider.org/wiring/99-09%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Venture%20Simplified%20Circuit%20Diagram%20Rev%20B.pdf

thank you again for all the help..

Chuck

Edited by Winddancer
fix URL

The main plug that connects to the starter solenoid is a known problem area. Unplug it, clean it, sometimes replace it, (junk yard)or replace the female blade terminals inside it. Also there is a main fuse there that will look good but really isn’t. Replace it.

The main plug that connects to the starter solenoid is a known problem area. Unplug it, clean it, sometimes replace it, (junk yard)or replace the female blade terminals inside it. Also there is a main fuse there that will look good but really isn’t. Replace it.

Yup Thats where my trouble was. I was confused to no end. Had just got off a 5k+ ride and next day no start. Battery voltage was good.

Does anyone know where I might be able to buy a new plug that goes into the starter relay, besides a junk yard?

I saw write up once that had a link to all the pieces new, but cant find it anywhere.

I have been so busy, I have not been able to work on it at all , but am going to try to get to it this week.

Thank you..

Chuck