IGNORED

'86/'83 plastic compatibility?

I found a 1986 VR on Craigslist about 160 mi. from me. He is asking $300.00 OBO. He says he bought the bike to make a trike. He tore it apart but never did anything else with it. He claims it ran before he dismantled it. He didn't say it ran well, just "It ran." He said the plastic is all there and mostly good. Only one or two cracks, supposedly. He does not have a title.

I am going to be about 40 miles away from him for a couple days next week. I'm going to try to carve out the time to go take a look at it.

My question is this: Is my assumption that everything except the luggage is compatible with my '83 correct?

Not quite, the engine covers latch differently but other than that they are compatible. If you swap out the rear subframe you can bolt those bigger bags right up! Also, the headlight bezel is different as well as the "chin" between the lower fairings...

Not absolutely sure about all of this so you will have to wait for a guru to show up but,, I gotta hunch that:

1. Different carbs.

2. Different TCI.

3. Different swing arm.

4.Different drive shaft.

6. Different jugs (block) and/or different heads.

7. Different seat.

8. Different drivers back rest.

9. Different anti-dives.

10. Different forks.

11. Different calipers and rotors.

12. Different subframe.

13. Different windshield

14. Different clutch assembly.

15, :think:,, I know I am missing something,, oh well,, I'm only a part timer,, not bad for part timer if even 1/2 of those I listed are correct :fnd_(16):

I am primarily interested in the main fairings, side covers and lower fairings. If I can trade sub frames and luggage, I might do that. I will keep the front end for swapping next off season.

So, my '83 windshield will not fit on the '86 fairing? I ask because it looks in the pictues like the '86 windshield has been shortened to about 8"

Am I going to have to trade all the fairing mounts as well?

As far as the windshield goes, I think the Pucster is wrong on that one. To my knowledge, they are the same. He's right with the rest of the stuff.

EDIT: What is different is the chrome bezel under the windshield, the MK1 is a 3 piece arrangement whereas the MK2 is a wider 1 piece due to the different headlight...

If you convert to the better MK2 headlight you will need to swap out the front and side fairing frames, but they bolt right up. The bracket that bolts the left side upper fairing to the right side is different as well strictly for the headlight. It's all pretty straightforward with no real issues...

Edited by bongobobny