IGNORED

Oil leak 02 RSV

GrahamLFCkeeper

DSC_0561.jpg

Can anyone tell me where this leak (on the white bit) may be coming from?

Thankfully it is a very small leak, so I'm not loosing much oil.

Any help would be much appreciated

On a 2002 RSV... For the avoidance of any confusion this pic is taken directly under where a centre stand would be attached

Thanks in advance, Graham

IMHO there are numerous places that the small leak could be coming from. If it were mine I would probably give it a really good cleaning by spraying it down with brake or carb cleaner if nothing else. Get the area really clean, let it dry and then start it up and watch for seeps. Does the hydraulic fluid for the clutch remain full or have you been noticing fluid loss there? How is the crush washer on your oil drain - do you replace it when changing? It is possible for the clutch slave to lose fluid and it show up like that. If it is the Neutral Switch, which is very possible too, you got good advice on that IMHO, here is a video of the switches location = you could probably clean up really well under the Middle Gear cover and see it and then watch it for leaks as the bike warms up. Even using a mirror and bright flash light to view for seepage before removing the cover. Here is the video, hope it helps in some way Graham!! All the best on the fix!!

Puc

The neutral safety switch on a 2 gen is as Puc's vid shows. Just remember to have an oil catch pan under the bike when you remove the middle gear cover. Before you take all that apart remove left rear cylinder fins and check the back of the motor for oil dripping from a leaky valve cover gasket. That is what caused my leak and it looked same as yours.

If you are sure it is the switch. It may be the rubber O ring seal and not the switch it's self. Same work to do to get at it but the seal is only a few bucks.

This was actually my thought... I'll know better when I get to it... As you said either way its the same work... Cheers for your reply