IGNORED

clutch basket

Guest Dragon Snoot

Guest Dragon Snoot

hey don't suppose anyone know what size wrench I need to get clutch basket off. Have all the plates out and was just wondering before I went to town and had to buy a bunch of different ones. thanks.

hey don't suppose anyone know what size wrench I need to get clutch basket off. Have all the plates out and was just wondering before I went to town and had to buy a bunch of different ones. thanks.

If I remember correctly, a 1 & 3/16" socket is a good fit (mine is a 6 point socket)..... Remember to torque to specs on re-assembly.

Get a 30mm 1/2" drive socket. better yet, go to harbor freight and just buy the impact metric set that goes up to 32mm. You will use almost all of them, and you'll need the 32mm if you ever need to check your valve adjustment or turn the motor over by hand.

Also, check out Scott Martins post on building your own clutch basket holder, don't try anything else (such as a wrench or screwdriver between the bolt posts, don't ask me how I know this!!). Just pick up a couple of 1/8" thick or thicker short (1") shelf bracket and a piece of 1x6 or 2x6 wood. You'll need a holesaw of about 2" or bigger, also.

Good luck and ask, ask, ask!!!!

Dan

Guest Dragon Snoot

Okay I tried a search for Scott Martin, Scott Martins, and clutch basket holder and came up with nothing. Don't suppose you have a link to that post by chance. And oh yeah thanks so much for all the help you have been giving me!

Sorry Snoot, just got back on and saw your post. Here is the one I built. For the 30 mm socket to pass through, you need a 2-1/2" hole through your board, the brackets are approx. 4-1/2" inside to inside. I just used a couple of drywall screws to attach to a piece of 1/2" plywood that I cut down. Whatever is handy will work. Needs to be about 6" wide and 2' or so long. Butttt, I think if your tranny is in gear, you might be able to bust it loose without the board. My luck is, if I don't use the board, I'll break something else. The board is necessary if the motor is out. Good luck

Dan

Sorry Snoot, just got back on and saw your post. Here is the one I built. For the 30 mm socket to pass through, you need a 2-1/2" hole through your board, the brackets are approx. 4-1/2" inside to inside. I just used a couple of drywall screws to attach to a piece of 1/2" plywood that I cut down. Whatever is handy will work. Needs to be about 6" wide and 2' or so long. Butttt, I think if your tranny is in gear, you might be able to bust it loose without the board. My luck is, if I don't use the board, I'll break something else. The board is necessary if the motor is out. Good luck

Dan

Ok, once I got this brain fart out and remembered to resize my pics so they would post,,,,,

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dragon Snoot

ok here is what I made and this is what I am putting it on. It does stop the basket from turning but I still can't break the nut loose all it does is bend the L brackets. I did bend the tab back on the "washer" or whatever it is. Anything else I am missing? Thanks

ok here is what I made and this is what I am putting it on. It does stop the basket from turning but I still can't break the nut loose all it does is bend the L brackets. I did bend the tab back on the "washer" or whatever it is. Anything else I am missing? Thanks

That locking "washer" ensures that the nut stays at the correct torque, the nut is torqued to 50 foot Lbs. To get it off, it is best if you have a friend with an portable air or electric impact (used in reverse direction of course, turning counter clockwise) to break the torque on the nut. If that is not available, have someone hold the board in place, give the breaker bar & socket, a sharp tug to break the torque.

Do not use an impact driver to re-install the nut, it needed to be torqued to 50 foot Lbs.

Before you go out and buy a 2x4 and a few L brackets take a look through your garage and see if you have any rope laying around. I did this last night and it worked out great. I had a piece of rope that was the same Diameter (??) as the slots that are in the clutch basket and used that. I will post pics Wednesday so you can see. I did the buy a hole lot of different sized sockets as well and it came down to a 30MM that still seems a little large but it did work with the impact wrench.

I will try to explain the rope device.

take one end of the rope and place it in one of the slots on the basket and thread it to the back of the basket then wrap the rope around the basket (Clockwise). This covers and secures the original end that was placed in the slot of the basket. once you have 5 or 6 wraps on the basket secure the running end off/ on the cross bar that is just above the basket with a half hitch and go to town. You will have a few unproductive turns of the wrench until the rope tightens on the basket. I was unable to break loose the nut manually so I had to break out the impact wrench and zing it was done..

Discovered your problem. Take your L brackets off, mount them to each side of the board across the center of the hole with the legs on the board running the same way as the board (90d to the way you have them now). Push the board all the way up against the clutch housing as far as you can, and that should help keep them from bending.

Dan

Before you go out and buy a 2x4 and a few L brackets take a look through your garage and see if you have any rope laying around. I did this last night and it worked out great. I had a piece of rope that was the same Diameter (??) as the slots that are in the clutch basket and used that. I will post pics Wednesday so you can see. I did the buy a hole lot of different sized sockets as well and it came down to a 30MM that still seems a little large but it did work with the impact wrench.

I will try to explain the rope device.

take one end of the rope and place it in one of the slots on the basket and thread it to the back of the basket then wrap the rope around the basket (Clockwise). This covers and secures the original end that was placed in the slot of the basket. once you have 5 or 6 wraps on the basket secure the running end off/ on the cross bar that is just above the basket with a half hitch and go to town. You will have a few unproductive turns of the wrench until the rope tightens on the basket. I was unable to break loose the nut manually so I had to break out the impact wrench and zing it was done..

Interesting, and a great time saver!!!

This gave me an idea. How about using a 1" ratchet strap? Take the long end and put a series of wraps like your rope. Then anchor the strap to the bike frame etc. Should work like your rope without the stretch. Just make sure to protect the basket from the strap hook.

JB

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dragon Snoot

OK people I am sitting here at my wits end. I never could get the basket off so I decided to get it back together so I can take it to someone who know what the heck they are doing. So after getting all the plates and everything back on I tried to fire it up. NOTHING wont even try!!! What the Heck did I do wrong. Please help, I gotta get this thing to someone who can fix it or would anybody be interested in an '83 venture? Also If means anything the clutch is rock hard wont budge a bit! Thanks for all the help.

Edited by Dragon Snoot